What are they feeding you...


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
August 13th 2009
Published: August 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well the last week has certainly been an adventure!

We left BA early in the morning, sadly by public bus as our truck, Gus was poorly sick and had to stay at the doctors a bit longer. Our poor leader Rene had the unenviable job of getting 18 gringos to the bus station and onto the right bus, with all our stuff, by 7.30 am. Thankfully we all made it (although 2 people literally by the skin of their teeth!). The bus was really comfortable - just as well for the 11 hour trip to Cordoba.

We arrived in Cordoba and headed off the hostel - another first for me, sharing a dorm with 7 others although thankfully just people from the group. After a nice all you can eat buffet dinner (great for veggies as there was choice in what to eat for a change) we had a few quiet drinks back at the hostel and a reasonably early night. Riki, our other leader/driver had stayed behind in BA to get Gus better and drove through the night to catch us up. I did a bit of shopping in Cordoba in the morning (a pillow and blanket for the lovely chilly night´s camping) then we finally met Gus at lunch time and headed off on the road.

Gus is awesome - a big mercedes truck that is so clever. Not only does she fit 20 people on with all their gear but there is a full camp kitchen, seats, tents, a fridge, library (well, box of books) and bar on board. As soon as you´re all on the truck the group comes together and it´s like a proper adventure. Helped along the way by some interesting music choices (Riki likes to match the song to the day, or night before as we discovered yesterday morning after a rather interesting night on tequila, but more of that later!).

We headed off the estancia a few hours away. Most of the drive was unremarkable, but when we got there and pulled through the gate it was a different story. Very bumpy, steep windy tracks lead down to the house where were camping. The estancia is huge and very beautiful. We pitched our tents (Kate - you would be so proud as I´m an expert now!). Then I was on the cook group making chilli con carne which was interesting as we stopped to take part in a wine tasting half way through.

That evening was all about the wine and much singing to Riki´s guitar. Then night one in a tent. I have a tent to myself at the moment which is nice but bloody freezing! Seriously, it´s not been so much about suncream as ski jackets!

It was up very early the next morning to make breakfast then head off on our first horse ride which I loved. My horse was called Lindar and when I actually learnt to trust that she could make it down the very steep rocky slopes it was really relaxing. The sun came out and we had a lovely hour´s ride over to a waterfall where we stopped for a bit before heading back and enjoying some time to relax in the afternoon.

That night was possibly the worst night´s sleep so far. The owner´s dogs escaped from his house and did the 45 minute walk over to where we were camping and spent the night running around the tents barking and panting. Of course I had no idea what they were and my half asleep brain was convinced I was about to eaten by a pack of ARgentinian wolves!! Then I was desperate for the toilet and had to run all the way to the house whilst scared stupid. I got off lightly though - Dan went to the toilet in the middle of the night and saw two eyes staring out at him so started to run. The dogs thought this was a great game and bundled him into someone´s tent. Of course next morning we met Norman and Blarney, two of the cutest soppiest dogs I´ve ever seen!

The next day we had another ride over to the main house where we had lassooing competition. which I won! Yep, believe it or not I actually lassooed a calf clear over the head!! everyone thinks it´s hysterical that the veggie did so good but I guess they haven´t learnt about my stubborn determination yet.

That evening another Dragoman group arrived at the estancia and we had a joint barbecue and party which was a lot of fun. The guitar came out again and I was awarded a bottle of champagne for my lassooing success.

Up early again the next day and a whole day of driving before the next big experience - bush camping. So no campsite, no bathroom, no toilet, just us and Gus pulled up off the road. I haven´t quite got used to the going to the toilet on the ground thing yet but other than that it was fine.

The next morning up early again and another driving day to Cafayate where we stayed in a campsite!! Honestly, I´ve never been so excited to have a disgusting toilet and shower available. After dinner, Riki suggested we head into town for a few drinks. Only 6 of us were up for it but it turned into quite a night. I have to take responsibility for the tequila, but not for the effect it had! It turns out no one else can handle it and we all got very drunk very quickly. We were in a bar where a local guy was playing guitar and after he finished we convinced them to let Riki do some songs which went down very well. Before long we were all up on stage singing and dancing much to the locals amusement.

I don´t think Rene and the others were too impressed when we got home and decided to continue the music on the truck! But Kate - I have thoroughly tested your theory and you are so right. I was about as drunk as I´ve ever been but woke up in the morning with no hangover! Got love camping for that.

So yesterday we spent the morning visiting a couple of vineyards which was really interesting. I wasn´t that up for the wine tasting but when in Argentina... then we drove up to Salta where we have camped a rafting place last night. It was a stunning drive - the most beautiful lake just as the sun was starting to go down. Some people have gone white water rafting this morning but I´ve saved that for later in the trip. But I am doing the zip line this afternoon - 9 lines, 100m up and 500 m long across the canyon where we are based!! check it out at www.saltarafting.com.

Well, best be off for my lunch. Tonight we head into Salta for a few days so hopefully have more time for internet access there. Miss you all. Ex



Advertisement



13th August 2009

sounds great
Ella, we're just sitting reading your blog together - so glad it's going so well! Certainly sounds like the experience of a lifetime! how's the Spanish?xxx
18th August 2009

When in Argentina.....
I am of course referring to the wine tasting and not the gouchos!!!! Your last blog had me searching thro' old photo albums trying to find the name of the estancia I stayed on for the week. What fun that was. Reading someone elses travel blog is a great way to re live the good old travelling days! Thank you. Hope they haven't turned you into a carnivore yet. Try some vineyards in Mendoza ..........mmmmmmmmm!

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb