El Calafate & El Chalten


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
November 26th 2007
Published: November 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The main reason to visit El Calafate is the Perito Moreno glacier, which is about 1 hr out of town. And this glacier is definitely worth visiting!

The Glacier moves at a speed of about 40cm to 1m a day! This fast movement causes the glacier to calve regularly, and we saw some spectacular calving. Small pieces of ice fall off every few minutes, and even they cause a incredibly loud bang, sounding like thunder! We were lucky enough to see a huge piece break off. What a sight. Check out the video that I posted...

After watching the iceberg from a distance, it was time to take a boat to the other side and actually walk on it. After attaching crampons to our shoes, we got to walk on the glacier for nearly 2hrs. What an experience, especially with the first really good weather we had hadfor weeks! Blue skies and sunshine... On the glacier itself we saw many pools, rivers and crevaces, and at the end of our walk had a glass of whisky with glacial ice. Cheers!

The following day we took a bus to El Chalten, a tiny village 250km from El Calafate, the base for trekking in the Fitz Roy mountain range. Again the weather held, and we had a good day hiking through the mountains.




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Cheers!Cheers!
Cheers!

Whiskey with glacial ice.


Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0224s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb