The road to Buenos Aires ... and beyond


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
November 15th 2007
Published: November 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Arentina 1 and Uruguay


Arriving in Argentina from months in Peru and Bolivia can be very bad for the health. Mainly because you dive head first into every barbeque and bottle of Malbec (red wine) you see. After a week of constant gorging in Salta we decided that one more wouldn´t hurt and as such we now have to buy extra seats on the plane.

David went to visit Iguazu Falls from the Argentinian side. While you can see them from Brazil, the walks and view from Argentina are unbeatable and make for a very memorable time.

We met up again in Rosario, a perfect city to kick back and relax in at the beach, in the parks and all you can eat restaurants ... with a meat barbeque of course.

Buenos Aires, with a larger population than London, is an amazing city and one for which you could never have enough time. With amazing shopping, markets and a hustling bustling night life we managed to squeeze in time for tango lessons, crafts and antiques markets, and a huge cemetery where Argentina's elite hang out posthumously.

Of course we couldn't visit Argentina without seeing a football match! Heading to the Boca Juniors match through the poor neighbourhood of La Boca was made a little more exciting by the sudden apperance of riot police blocking our path. This was followed by the opposition fans parading past the locals making all sorts of obscene gestures and lurid comments. We didn´t mind this until we discovered they were secured in an area directly above us and spent the entire match spitting on us. Fortunately we were prepared for rain and enjoyed joining the locals in turning around and yelling obscenities at them after each of the four unanswered Boca goals. (Sorry mum we now know how to swear at those putas in Spanish.)

For a break from the hustle and bustle of BA we went camping on a river delta in Tigre in our new tent with our new Dutch friend Corinda. We followed the same simple formula as we had done in the rest of Argentina: meat bbq and lots of red wine.

Our last days before heading to the Fin del Mundo (Ushuai) were spent in Uruguay. Plagued by rain and freeziness we had a fun time travelling between the nice towns of Colonia del Sacremento, Punta del Esta and the quiet capital of Montevideo.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Nic on the beach in RosarioNic on the beach in Rosario
Nic on the beach in Rosario

Along with thousands of poser Argentinians in g string bikinis sipping copious amounts of mate (hot tea)
The San Telmo marketThe San Telmo market
The San Telmo market

Note Dave's new hair cut thanks to an atrocious barber!
A pony drawn rubbish cart in Montevideo, UruguayA pony drawn rubbish cart in Montevideo, Uruguay
A pony drawn rubbish cart in Montevideo, Uruguay

They still collect rubbish in this way


16th November 2007

Haircut
Dave, after you PAID for that haircut, I hope you mentally apologised for any thing you ever said to me about the way I had just cut your hair. Mum
3rd December 2007

hi guys
how are you since ushuaia ? did you make it at time to puerto month well you have a nice time left behind you i hope you will keep going and make other travels well it took me minutes to find how to make a comment and now i jhave to go by fred
3rd December 2007

again
oh i almost forgot www.panamerika.blogspot.com and nice grettings to nicolaS hahaha fred

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb