Argentina & Uruaguay


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
March 8th 2006
Published: March 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Buenos Aires

If you want all night parties, huge steaks and attractive people, all at a backpackers price, this city is the place to come. Also the place to come to watch the most emotional games of football (soccer) in the world. Heaving crowds, constant chanting, enormous flags. I'm not entirely sure what they were singing and shouting about but a man so passionate that he kicked his chair that was cemented into the ground clean off, sends a pretty clear message about how upset he was about that last goal. The place to start your career as a professional dog walker.

Colonia del Sacramento
Had a break from the tour and took off with a couple of others to Uruguay for a few days. Stayed in this old colonial style town, only a short ferry ride from BA, with cobblestone roads, beautiful old houses with tiled numbers, in a hostel with a picture of the Sydney Opera house on the wall.

Montevideo
The capital of Uruguay is certainly a far cry from its neighbour across the river. This place seems much older and the people seem to be quite depressed. I did see an old codger, however, hobbling down the road and then turn around to totally check out some hot chick that had walked past. We had to laugh at the police cars here. The first one was a little hatch back with lights on the roof and a siren. The second one was like little a granny scooter but with a roof that made a buzzing sound as it zoomed down the street. We went to the theatre to watch a tango concert in a grand old theatre like in the movies (think Pretty Woman), complete with heaps of different instruments, singing and dancing with special lighting, all for only $9. After the concert we saw a wedding party having photos and the brides veil flew off her head and blew off into the wind. This began a procession of people chasing after it down the street like in a Benny Hill scene. Oh and by the way, don't mention that you're from Australia if you come here. They are still a little sensitive about the world cup.

El Calafate
Went out to the very impressive Moreno Glacier and watch the largest glacier in the country breaking off into the lake. I spent my 29th birthday at a petrified forest surrounded by log shaped stones and watching the sun rise and set from the window of the bus. Got wicked presents - yummy chocolates from Conor, a Patagonia t-shirt from Liesel, gloves, scarf and AAA batteries from Owain and a mini-pack of vegemite from Delys

Advertisement



Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0445s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb