Unusual sights not often seen in the US


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
February 15th 2007
Published: February 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post


**Updated Feb 15th - NEW PHOTOS!!**

Here I will post odd or random things that we come across. You often see things that are just not quite what you would expect to see in everyday life back home. Most times we do not get the chance to get a photo of them, but sometimes we do and often they are quite interesting or down right crazy. I will keep adding some as we see and photograph them.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Soap on a StickSoap on a Stick
Soap on a Stick

No drippy dispenser here.
Don´t Move!!!!Don´t Move!!!!
Don´t Move!!!!

We have seen this several places in S America (including brazil). the freeze guy. He or she usually stands on a crate dressed in some zany outfit and does not move a muscle. You admire, shoot a photo and give a tip. We have seen the blue guy, this guy, severall angels and some others. We do not know the context or significance of this public art but it is quite unique and when you tipped this guy he did the ´robot dance´and shook your hand. A new twist on an otherwise motionless diplay of art.
Do you drink it?Do you drink it?
Do you drink it?

Absolutely!!! We found this in Santiago and elsewhere in Chile. Sweet Tea, wheat and a Peach. It was quite seewt and very delicious!!!!
The Pontoon BikeThe Pontoon Bike
The Pontoon Bike

I really wanted Dave to rent this thing so I could get a photo, but he refused!
So again in Mendoza we have the trained duck!So again in Mendoza we have the trained duck!
So again in Mendoza we have the trained duck!

This gentleman had taken his puppy and duck for a walk in the park. He had the duck swimming in the fountain and finally told it to get out and come along. The duck begrudgingly agreed and was lifted out of the fountain. The gentleman kept giving vocal commands to the duck top follow him, which the duck did. The puppy on the other hand had to be restarined because he kept trying to bite the ducks neck. They retreated to the shade and lounged on the grass.
The super, super long pillowThe super, super long pillow
The super, super long pillow

Not to be outdone by the half tub, Mendoza offers the almost 5 foot long pillow on the double bed. Who cares because it was our first double bed of the trip.
Here is a non standard way to not use a ladderHere is a non standard way to not use a ladder
Here is a non standard way to not use a ladder

Earlier in the day at the same site I also saw a guy in a boom truck with a ladder sticking out of the basket and it he was climbing the ladder. Unfortunately, I did not have the camera, so this shot will have to suffice.
And so the toe is very shiny because of all the love!And so the toe is very shiny because of all the love!
And so the toe is very shiny because of all the love!

Although we did not really need to go or be in Punta Arenas, we ended up passing through enroute north, there is no real reason toreturn here. But we did end up kissing the toe so we could return here again (hopefully just pasing through again).
Sheep crossing...Sheep crossing...
Sheep crossing...

and a bus full of people stopping to check them out. There are a lot of sheep ranches here again since the devaluing of the Argentinian Peso a few years back - the wool is now priced more competitively for the world wide market.
Anyone who has backpacked knows this scene..Anyone who has backpacked knows this scene..
Anyone who has backpacked knows this scene..

the explosion of stuff in a room or bed upon arrival from a long journey. Note that I could not get a shot of everything. Believe me it is a sight to see and occasionally smell, like the half onion left in a bag of food.. Yummy..


8th February 2007

Thanks for the Update
Hope you find a place to stop and rest for a day or two! I'll try the travel desk again and keep trying. Have fun and a glass of wine for us. Dad, Julie and Mikie
9th February 2007

Sweeeeeet halftub!!!
11th February 2007

Geez!
Even your messes are tidy! love, your messy office mate ps do you only get half clean in a half bath?
17th February 2007

ooh, we need that bike thing for the lodge, so i can visit you guys at high tide! oliver is absolutely drooling over your patagonia pictures, the next trip he is dreaming about.
20th February 2007

I'm buying you a duck
That's right. When you arrive back in Anchorage, you will be the proud, new owners of a pet duck. That guy in Mendoza gave me a really good idea. Not only do I think such a pet would round out your lives nicely, I would get a kick out of watching Dave train a duck. Safe travels, you clowns!
20th February 2007

You´re too late...
How do you know that I already do not have the duck in my pack? Worse yet, he is quite handy at construction and may be my new right webbed guy...

Tot: 0.325s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 17; qc: 75; dbt: 0.088s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb