San Miguel De Tucuman


Advertisement
Published: August 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Heres my guide to San Miguel de Tucuman. Sorry if there are any spelling errors. I havnt been writing in english in a while.
Heres some info about the areas of san miguel i know about. I have been living in san miguel for six months as an afs exchange student. I currently go to school and live with a host family in SM. If there are any exchange students traveling here feel free to ask questions.

Firstly SM isnt really a tourist city. Tourists hoping to find a clean touristy city will be disappointed. SM is generally dirty and dont be suprised to be hasseled by poor people around the city centre and in bars and in restarants and generally anywhere if you decide to speak a foreign language. A simple "no perdon" will get rid of them. If you are a tourist there are a few places to visit. These places include the government house, the cathedral, park 9 de julio and of course the Independence House. Park 9 de julio should not be visited after dark as it is dangerous espicially to tourists. Also be warned that the lights and sounds show in the independance house is just that. Lights and sounds. Do not get your hopes up and if you dont understand spanish its just a very boring lights show. Also be aware if you do buy things you may be charged a differant price if the seller knows your are foreign. This only really applies to street sellers in the plaza and around the centre.

Tucuman has a good nightlife. Things to do include getting drunk, going to a bar, boliche or a party. The best days to go out are friday and of course saturday but be aware that tucuman boliches and bars close at 4am unlike other provinces. Kioscos will also stop selling alchohol after 11pm. If you really need to buy something there are always a few that will sell. these are generally located outside the centre.
There are plenty of bars in the centre. fridays and saturdays they are genearally full. Some of the best bars are Costumbre Argentina, Pangea and el rancho. Bars dont tend to check id and again close at 4am.
Boliches are the places to go if you want to dance. These are genearally only for people over 21 but being a foreigner has its benifits. the best boliches are roof and la boite. these are much harder to get into but if you want to increase your chances speak in english or another language. Boliches to keep out of are Metropolis

If your here to do some shopping it can be done in the city centre or the main shopping mall in yerba buena. there are plenty of stores around the centre but there is a shopping mall out in yerba buena. this also has a few stores as well as the cities only burger king and a nice new cinema. A brand new shopping has also been opened out in yerba buena and is also worth visiting.

Prices in Tucuman are much cheaper then in Ba. Here are some basic price guides for the city.
A bottle of beer in a bar or restaurant depends on the type and place. prices range from 6 to 13 pesos. A good meal in a retaurant can be had for 15 to 30 pesos (includes a drink). However a milanesa sandwich should cost from 5 to 10 pesos. Empanadas are from 1.50 to 2.50 pesos each. To go to the cinema will cost you 5 to 10 pesos. Boliches range in price from 10 to 25 pesos although these prices can change. Clothes are cheaper then in western countries but electronics can be very expensive. if you want to buy electronics tucuman is not the place to do it.

There are 3 ways to get around. By foot, bus or taxi. i dont recommend driving as argentinans are disgusting at it. walking is ok during the day but after 10 it can be dangerous. (people will tell you its very dangerous but argentinians are somewhat paranoid). The bus system is ok and is a cheapish way to get around. A bus ticket will cost you 1.40 pesos. taxis are a cheap way to get around. you can genearally get from point a to b for less then 10 pesos. Be aware that some drivers will take the long way or 'forget 'to put on the meter.

So i may add more stuff later on. If you have a question feel free to ask and i will do my best to reply.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb