We´ve reached the end of the world


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Tierra del Fuego » Ushuaia
March 17th 2005
Published: March 17th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Fin del MundoFin del MundoFin del Mundo

Ushuaia, Argentina
Hello all,

We´re writing to let you all know that after approximately thirty-six hours of travel and layovers, we´ve finally reached the first stop on our long trip.

Our flight from LAX left about 11pm PT and landed in San Jose, Costa Rica ¨6:40 am CT. We met Florencio, a retired Costa Rican banker. He told us all about his family and grandkids and his work. His sister and nieces were making a typical breakfast for him consisting of gallo pinto (rice and black beans), maduros (fried plantains), eggs, and empanadas. We had breakfast at the airport. We did not have a typical breakfast, but did notice that Burger King and Church´s both offered gallo pinto (translated simply as ¨typical food¨). We spent nine hours in the SJ airport waiting for our connecting flight. We had a short stop over in Lima and then finally arrived in Buenos Aires at 3:15 am to find out that Ryan´s checked backpack had been burgled. A pocketknife and the headlamp that Darren gave him for Xmas had been stolen. We were almost tempted to use the SafeTrip machine that saran wraps yur luggage at the BA airport baggage check. Apparently, this isn´t an isolated problem since the line was quite long to pay $7USD for blue saran wrap. Luckily, we found out we were in first class for the last leg of our journey. It was nice, but we slept through an awful lot of it.

We´re now in Ushuaia, Argentina, the southernmost city in the world. Tourist season here is slowing down. High season is Oct.-beginning of Mar. Winter season doesn´t begin until May and runs through August. We took a long nap this afternoon and had a nice dinner this evening. Restaurants here don´t start dinner service until 8pm. We´re already booked on a penguin excursion tomorrow morning. More to follow...

Love,
Ryan and Ana


Advertisement



Tot: 2.316s; Tpl: 1.163s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.5159s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1020.1kb