Week 4


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Tierra del Fuego » Ushuaia
January 27th 2006
Published: January 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

El ChaltenEl ChaltenEl Chalten

NIce little place in the mountains
Well well well what a week it has been!!

We reached Rio Gallegos as planned only to find that there was a 6 day bottle neck on going south, so with the flexibility that our travelling style accords us we changed our plans and went west instead.

After 16hours travelling from Puerto Madryn , we got straight back on a bus and headed to El Calafate (4.5 hours) and then on a dirt track 4.5hours on to El Chalten. Shattered we collapsed into our Army Barrack style accommodation. In the morning we realised we had arrived in fabulous high andean mountain range. See Photos.

The first day we walked up to Cerro Torre, a fantastic walk to a Glaciar and volcanic lake. Hot and windy walk. Woke up the second day to see a blue sky and the Magnificent Mt. FitzRoy. Decided that although it takes professional mountain climbers 14 days to climb it we would see what we could do in a day!!! Got quite close!! We set off on a hard steep climb seeing loads of wildlife, including Marcelo - top geezer from BA who kind of became our guide.

5 mins after leaving him
Us  trekkingUs  trekkingUs trekking

En route for Mt. Fitzroy
we were lost. We took the wrong path and instead of following a marked path we ended up climbing, scrambling and fording rivers. This was truly hardcore but ultimatly worth it. We arrived at Lago Sucio (Dirty Lake) to find it clear and glistening in the sun. We had nmot seen anyone for hours and firmly believe that noone had been there before!! As we ate sandwiches in a very british way the glaciar immediately infront of us crashed and tumbled down the mountain into the lake.
El Chalten was one of the highlights of the trip so far.

We returned to El Calafate for a day and took a trip to the Perito Moreno Glaciar. Possibly the largest glaciar in the world?? Did yu know that it grows 2 metres every day? It was enormement! See photos.

We then tracked back across to Rio Gallegos, spending more time than two people could feasibly need in the bus station... The Bus journey down to Ushuaia was one of the more eventful long journeys. Having to cross the Magellan straights and the Chile border twice which was one of the most bureaucratic affairs ever.

Arrived in Ushuaia yesterday
Mt FitzroyMt FitzroyMt Fitzroy

What a mountain!
and have been buying hats and gloves, as it is a bit nippy around the old proverbials!!!

We have reached our furthest point south and on Monday will head north through Chile.
Hope all is well, thanks loads for the emails,

D&C



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb