Ushuaia, The End Of The World


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Tierra del Fuego » Ushuaia
January 12th 2024
Published: January 15th 2024
Edit Blog Post

We flew from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia, Argentina. Ushuaia is a resort town located on the Southern most tip of South America nicknamed the End of the World. Our flight was several hours late so when we arrive we go straight to dinner. Dinner is at a locals home. The husband cooked a wonderful dinner. After dinner the family answered our questions about life in Ushuaia. They told us when they bought their house it was small and had no utilities. They would get water from the stream. if you stayed five years the government would provide utilities. They stayed five years and with the help of friends they expanded the size of the house to accommodate their growing family.

We spend the night in Ushuaia. In the morning we take a city tour and a tour of the surrounding area. We visit memorials to the Malvinas war. Better known to those who do not live in Argentina as the Falkland War. On April 2, 1982 Argentina invaded the British Territory and the war lasted 74 days. We saw multiple references to Malvinas in Argentina so they have not gotten over losing the war. Before lunch we listened to a veteran of the Malvinas who talked about how hard it has been for him to get over the trauma he experienced during the war. So sad that right now many people are living in war zones. King Crab was our main dish for lunch and it was very good.

Gauchito Gil sanctuary by the side of the road was interesting. Gil is a folk saint, not a real saint. He lived 1847 thru 1878 in Argentina. He was a gaucho (coyboy) until he was drafted into the army. He had a dream that God told him not to kill so he deserted. He became a Robin Hood type stealing from the rich and giving to the poor. He was caught and hung upside down from a tree. He told the executioner when he went home he would find his son sick. If the executioner prayed to Gauchito Gill then his son would survive.The executioner’s son did survive and this was the beginning of a cult following. Sanctuaries to Gil can be found in Argentina, Chili, Bolivia, Uruguay and Spain. Our group brought a beer and we took turns pouring some for Gil.

Free time this afternoon to shop or bird watch. The next four days will be on a ship. There is no internet on the ship so that will be an adjustment. We board our ship, settle into our rooms then have dinner. This is not a cruise ship with entertainment, gambling and dancing. The ship has a few common rooms with lots of seating. One of the common areas has a bar open 10 am to midnight with all drinks included. Snacks, tea and coffee can be found in a common space starting at 6 am. The dinning room offers three main dishes daily with one item being a vegetarian option. Wine is served with dinner. Our ship is a Chilean ship with a crew from Chili. There is a small gift shop on the ship. So we are excited because the ship part of this trip will be the most interesting


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0594s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb