El Calafate - Day 1 - Laguna Nimes


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Santa Cruz » El Calafate
March 1st 2007
Published: March 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

It was another early morning. We left the hostel in Puerto Madryn at 6 o'clock in the morning to catch our 8am flight to El Calafate. The hostel, for a change, was exactly what I had seen on the photos! The rooms were clean and lovely. The views from the windows were stunning. The stuff was the friendliest and most helpful ever! We had such an enjoyable stay there.

We planned our stay and made some changes, which shortened our stay in El Calafate with a day, which was to be spent in El Chalten. So, there was not much time to be wasted and we headed off to Laguna Nimes, which is not too far away from our hostel. Being me, I wanted to take the shortest way there, but since there were no street signs we got lost and ended up going through a wasteland. At first, it only stunk and then, the ground under our feet felt somewhat soft, with every step we'd feel our feet sinking slightly... Well, Talal first had his foot sink in pretty deeply, but then the second time it happened; he lost his shoe in the soil or whatever that black sticky stuff was.

We made it to Laguna Nimes, though! For a moment we thought of jumping over the fence. But in my mind the risk of tearing my clothes on the fence were not worth the two Argentinean pesos we paid for the entrance fee which also came with a map and guidance notes to the sight. We had a bit of a laugh with the guidance notes to the place.

We saw flamingos, a few different types of ducks, one of which amazed me by having its head stuck under water for ages without taking it out for a breather!

Back at the hostel, Talal went to sleep and I used the time to book our trips to the glaciers as well as accommodation in El Chalten and the bus to get there. Afterwards, I spoke with a couple of Dutch guys - Bart and Robert, who were travelling by themselves. I invited them to come with us for dinner.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Our room in America del Sur Hostel in El CalafateOur room in America del Sur Hostel in El Calafate
Our room in America del Sur Hostel in El Calafate

with ensuite shower and toilet! Nice!
Talal's footstepsTalal's footsteps
Talal's footsteps

His shoes were stuck in the suspicious substance that was so sticky that his feet came out of the boots! He had to step aside and pull out his shoes.
Laguna NimesLaguna Nimes
Laguna Nimes

Talal suggested jumping over the fence for the excitement... I did not feel like tearing off my clothes. We went and paid the entrance fee and got a description of the things to observe.
The birdlife of Laguna NimesThe birdlife of Laguna Nimes
The birdlife of Laguna Nimes

Ducks or geeses as well as two pink flamingoes in the background


Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 76; dbt: 0.0813s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb