Blue Skies and perfect weather.


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » San Juan
December 12th 2006
Published: January 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

What could be a better way of escaping the winter snow than a trip to Argentina? I did not realize just how big Argentina really is - and since it is spread out north to south, you can pretty much pick your climate.

First stop was BA, busy streets, clean sidewalks - the atmosphere is Europe, only cheaper. McDonalds is promently featured at the Plaza de Mayo but everywhere else are sidewalk cafe's with sandwiches, pizza, and steak.

The Recoleta area cafe's and restaurants are packed at night, and the cemetery is well worth a visit during the day. Generals, baronessas, and doctors are buried here in a beautiful surrounding. The tombs are so well thought out and designed that it puts my house to shame. Tour groups and families visit for a history lesson, romantic older couples whisper on the benches, while birds sing in the trees.

The domestic airport is right down town beside the river (it looks like the ocean to me). I waited for departure time sitting across the road enjoying a beer or two in the sea breeze, watching the families play.

San Juan is in an arid, semi desert area of Argentina. The pace of life is slower, the cars are a bit older (old Citroëns are still on the road) but the wine is cheap, the weather and the people are great.

There is a new church in the center of town as most of the old buildings were damaged in a 1944 earthquake. In the surrounding countryside are fruit growning (grapes, olives, etc), desolate hills good for mountain biking, and the Andes for a background.

After a day or so I adjusted to the siesta and late dinners, some restaurants only open at 9:30 pm. But the impenadas are good, beer comes in quarts, and the locals all know and love 'Get Smart' and the 'Dukes of Hazzard'. They are so into football that during a game, they have one tv channel that just watches the crowd.

San Juan has the most efficent airport check in using e tickets on Aerolineas Argentinas.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

BA CemeteryBA Cemetery
BA Cemetery

Where they bury the cleaning supplies.
BA Cemetery BA Cemetery
BA Cemetery

A bit more rustic
BA_Plaza_de_MayoBA_Plaza_de_Mayo
BA_Plaza_de_Mayo

McD is everywhere
BA_RecoletaBA_Recoleta
BA_Recoleta

Follow the red dress.
BA_RecoletaBA_Recoleta
BA_Recoleta

Mega chillin in the park
SanJuanSanJuan
SanJuan

Panorama - mountains in the background
Downtown San JuanDowntown San Juan
Downtown San Juan

The new church in the background


2nd January 2007

my worry
Rick, I'm starting to worry about you. As you get older, your articles seem to mention beer more and more. More beer, less work! Heck, maybe I should be more worried about me? Barry
28th January 2007

from sj
it's "empanada" not impenada

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 17; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0683s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb