Surrounded But Safe


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Salta
February 27th 2010
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Waiting for the busWaiting for the busWaiting for the bus

Tucuman bus station, waiting for our bus to Salta
Geo: -25.2667, -65.4833

We seem to be in the middle of earthquakes but we're fine. We had a 6.6 this morning north of Salta, but we're 62km south and felt only some shakes. Our world shook back and forth for a couple of minutes, but no one was hurt.

We're in a cabana on a lake, a reservoir, so even if we got a big one and the dam broke, we're on high ground.

I'm including some pictures of our place, it's gorgeous, but the devil to get to. The 2 hour horse and buggy bus from Salta dropped us off at a dirt road and we had to drag our suitcases over a mile of nasty boulder strewn dirt and rock road til our arms fell out of their sockets.

Then when we got here we found we had nothing to eat or any water with NO mercado anywhere. Here we were exhausted with a bag of tea and 2 granola bars. There's a restaurant a mile away, which we hiked to for dinner. We were sitting there watching the clouds roll in and Bob says, all we need now is for it to rain.

And it did. We walked back
Watching Tom & JerryWatching Tom & JerryWatching Tom & Jerry

The bus station has these coin operated TVs and this kid was fascinated with watching Tom & Jerry cartoons, but when the TV ran out of time the kid ran out of quiet and started hollering.
to the cabana in the rain, showered in cold water cause the hot water tank wouldn't light, and then this morning took a taxi to the small pueblo 10 km away to stock up.

Why can we not get any of our looser friends to do this with us? Even the Myers deserted us. They come Sunday night, but they've been warned. Lucky ducks.






Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Cabra CorralCabra Corral
Cabra Corral

Cabra Corral is a large reservoir south of Salta. This point of land is all privately owned and very near Punta de Mahr.
Our only friendOur only friend
Our only friend

Well, except for they guy in the cabana next to us from Chicago. Weird world; we haven't seen anyone from the US on our whole trip and now here he is right next door. He's married to an Argentinean though, so he had an inside edge on finding this place. We're a bit remote for the average Norte.


28th February 2010

It is good to hear from you and that you are safe. With you there and Jim Lemcke in Hawaii where they expected a tsunami, we were very concerned.
28th February 2010

Glad you are well. Looks like a fun place. Jeff is off to the Dominican Republic on Tuesday.
28th February 2010

Awww, I wanted a picture of the horse and buggy! Enjoy the peace and solitude.
28th February 2010

Wow. Jeff will have stories to tell when he gets back. Kisses to all.

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb