Salta and Cordoba


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Salta
April 29th 2006
Published: April 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

New Country, New MapNew Country, New MapNew Country, New Map

We´re scrapping the usual google Map and going with this from now on. Hopefully it´s a bit clearer!
Arrived in Salta, Northwest Argentina after a pretty horrific 36ish hour journey which began when we boarded the jeep on the last day of our S.W Bolivia Tour.

After a 400+km jeep ride we caught an overnight train from Uyuni to the Arg / Bol border at Villazón.

Walked across the border and did the usual queueing and stamping and finally got into Argentina. 8hours later we arrive 300kms south in the city of Salta.

The first difference that struck us was the transport, as we stood transfixed in awe at the shiny big coach in front of us ready to take us on smooooooooth paved highways down to Salta.

Upon arriving and getting the first shower in 3 days we headed out on the hunt for decent grub. Fortunately we didn´t have to look far as Salta seemed to be filled with great restaurants and bistros. Over our first ´bife chorizos´(2 inch thick serloin) we quickly decided we would like Argentina.

After a couple of days of resting up and making the most of some good food and wine we decided to tempt fate on our own and hired some mountain bikes, taking them on
Salta main squareSalta main squareSalta main square

Cafés and bistros lined the square and served some delish meals for less than we had anticipated!
a route recommended to us by someone we met on the Death Road ride.

Got up at 5am and took a bus with our bikes and packed lunch up into the mountains 90kms from Salta. Salta is at sea level and we ended up, 4 hours bus ride later at 3000+m.

Some 60kms cycling and 6hours later we got back to Salta, exhausted, dirty and ready for another night on the red stuff(s). Despite the exhaustion, we went to a hostel-organised Barbeque and glugged cheap wine and ate hunks of meat until we could no more, eventually getting back to the hotel at 3am. (The loooongest day so far!)

On Thursday we left on a nightbus from Salta to Cordoba (Arg´s second city) arriving first thing friday morning. Cordoba was not as impressive to look at as Salta; far bigger, busier and dirtier but nevertheless we found some decent food joints which kept us more than occupied for 2 days until the next nightbus to Mendoza from where we write this entry.

Arrived in Mendoza first thing this morning and plan to do some more biking and some rafting during the next few days. Also visit
Salta feniculaireSalta feniculaireSalta feniculaire

We did the tourist thing of taking a cable car up a hill to check out the view of the city. At this point we still cant believe how civilised and modern everything seems!
some vineyards probably tomorrow 😊

Love to all

Chris and Rach


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Salta main square by night.Salta main square by night.
Salta main square by night.

We didnt take many photos of Salta itself - too busy enjoying it!
Light LunchLight Lunch
Light Lunch

Just your average three quid lunch with a bottle of the red stuff.
Bike RideBike Ride
Bike Ride

Does this look familiar? (Minus guide this time!!!) We took this on the bus ride up.
Bye bye bus!Bye bye bus!
Bye bye bus!

Having no idea how to take the wheels off, let alone put them back on...I was glad Chris seemed to know what he was doing. So the bus drives off and we have only 60ks to get to civilisation!
Piedra del Molino - The top!Piedra del Molino - The top!
Piedra del Molino - The top!

3348M! It was incredible scenery and we were rearing to go.
Condors!Condors!
Condors!

Having spent 2 days in Colca in Peru trying to spot these things, 3 or 4 started swooping around us 30seconds after we set off. A definite Kodak moment.
ViewView
View

The roads were a lot better than the deathroad, and not that steep in comparison, but really good fun!
Action ShotsAction Shots
Action Shots

Chris showing off (and probably contributing to the puncture later on!)
....and Sensible shots!!....and Sensible shots!!
....and Sensible shots!!

I´ve even got my trousers tucked up to avoid the chain...Chris reckons I just need a basket! :-( However better a basket than a puncture!:-)
Arty ShotsArty Shots
Arty Shots

Chris is quite adapt to riding hands-free, which came in useful for some shots along the way.
ProblemasProblemas
Problemas

Having riden about 40k´s without any problems...Chris´s bike went ´POP´. On examination it wasnt just the inner-tube but the tyre itself which had popped. ("not my fault!")
Fixed?!Fixed?!
Fixed?!

The solution: swap the front and back tyres so as to apply less pressure to the damaged tyre. Change the burst inner tube and disconnect front brakes (which were catching on the ´bulge´ in the side of the tyre.) The bike limped over the last 20kms and it was hard work with a partially deflated front tyre (along with catching back brakes which were later discovered!)
NightbusNightbus
Nightbus

Needless to say we got back to Salta OK! Here we are, feet up, relaxing on the front two seats on the top deck of a nightbus (we even got served wine!) Good recommendation S&J!
CordobaCordoba
Cordoba

...Kind of....Didn´t take any photos of Cordoba, but this sums it up for us!! (Bifé de Chorizo)
8am Mendoza8am Mendoza
8am Mendoza

Rachel didn´t sleep well on the bus from Cordoba, and did not appreciate waiting 2 hours for the hotel room to be available!


3rd May 2006

looks amazing
getting more and more jealous each time i get an update! Argentina jsut looks incredible! I sometimes get emails and photos from a friend who lives in argentina, half the photos are of plates of food! take a photo of the biggest steak you can!

Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 76; dbt: 0.1029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb