Argentina vs Italy


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Salta
June 11th 2005
Published: June 11th 2005
Edit Blog Post

RugbyRugbyRugby

Argentina vs Italy
We have just been to the rugby match between the Pumas and Italia, which we found out was happening because a local thought we might be rugby players! Only 16 peso´s for "preferrential" grandstand. The game wasn´t too exciting but the crowd are pretty passionate about the game....awesome atmosphere-just needed some cowbells to ring! The town is in fiesta mood tonite.

Went to the top of the hill for a view over Salta city and the Lerma Valley. A gondola goes up but we opted to walk the 1070 steps instead. The view was magnificient although a little hazy for good photo´s. The city is dwarfed by the surrounding mountain´s which have snow on the peaks. It is 1200m above sea level here and a little colder than what we´ve just come from. At the top of the hill we met Italy´s ex top referee, Walter, who is very good friends with Geoff Miller, editor of NZ rugby alamac, and other rugby magazine´s. He is also a collector of rugby memorabillia with over 2500 books and 3500 club pins/badges from around the world. I have promised to send him a Pirongia Logo when I return home.

Salta has incredible buildings, cobbled roads and a bustling atmsophere. It has been fascinating wandering the streets, enjoying the diverse culture of the locals, and sampling the fine culinary ie 1/2 kilo of the finest gelato ice cream @1.00am, pizza, enchaladas, and of course steak!

Leaving town tomorrow for a road trip to high altitude, and salt flats....




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0457s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb