Salta - early tribes, battles, wine and sugar cane production, use of horses


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Salta » Salta
February 25th 2015
Published: March 4th 2015
Edit Blog Post

PART TWO

EARLY TRIBES



1480 was the start of the Inca domination in North West Argentina. Afterwards, there came the Spanish conquest which was when religious art started in Salta and the people were ruled by a ‘cabildo’ and his representatives. The Spanish brought in a monetary system in order to measure wealth and saw the start of coins in Salta. The first coins had been made in Asia Minor and Greece in VII AC. Once the Spanish left Salta the design of the coins changed. (after or before the rule of Roman Empire - who started it?



SALTA



The city of Salta was founded in 1582. I learned quite a lot about how it was formed. At this time estancias (ranches attached to a church) were created and the population made use of the land surrounding the estancias. Houses were built using ‘adobe’ and the ceilings were made of ‘torta de barro’ (the same case in La Paz). After the earthquakes in 1692 people began building public buildings using ‘ladrillos’ and ‘piedras’ to prevent damage to their houses. From the mid 18th century this was the most popular material. Parts of churches were then built using iron to strengthen them. Salta was a city of commercial and political importance at this time.



BATTLES



I read about ‘La Batalla de Tucuman’ which freed Tucuman in 1812 and ‘La Batalla de Salta’ which followed this and freed Salta in 1813. I studied the fight against Spanish Independence and the roles of ‘General Belgrano’ ? and ‘Pio Tristan’. I read about ‘La Guerra Gaucha’ which took place between 1816 and 1821. I learned about the roles ? of several figures in the Independence wars such as Martin Miguel de Gueves, the ‘Gran Chaco’ in the expedition of Chaco. I learned that Salta belonged to the government of Tucuman before gaining its independence. I read about ‘the May revolution’ in 1810. CLARIFICATION REQUIRED

WINE AND SUGAR CANE PRODUCTION



I saw the instrument which people used to make wine. To make wine, people were hired to step on the grapes and crush them with their feet. They would stand in the instrument, wear a colourful hat and would crush the grapes to the sound of a tamborine which would be played at a special rythym. Mosto was also made in a similar ?way. Sugar cane production started in Peru and spread down to Argentina.



HORSES



When the europeans arrived they only knew of llamas to transport goods. However whilst they used llamas to transport goods, they rode on horses to spread gossip and news to people who lived a long way away, ?? more uses.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0319s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb