Feliz Navidad!! Christmas in Salta!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Salta » Salta
January 1st 2011
Published: January 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

After 20 hours on our cama bus we arrived in Salta on Christmas Eve.

Once we had setteled into the hostel, we went in search of the supermarket in order to find some food for the next day. However, when we got there it had only just closed! Facing no food for Christmas day we headed back to the hostel, passing a cornershop where we managed to pick up some pasta and tomato sauce! Not quite the feast we would have had at home but it was funny nonetheless!

Once back at the hostel we signed ourselves up for the Christmas eve BBQ that night which consisted of all you can eat steak, salad and bizarrely ham and cheese sandwiches. The meal also included a champagne toast at midnight as in Argentina Xmas eve is celebrated more than Xmas day. There were also loads of fireworks being let off at midnight by the houses in our neighbourhood. We had a great night as the hostel was packed and a few people (including James) decided to jump in the swimming pool and the music carried right on til the early hours.

Not a lot happened on Christmas day, we chilled out in the hostel, opened our crackers and sorted out our trip to La Paz (Bolivia) for New Years Eve. In the evening we had a few drinks with people from the hostel and had the free hostel dinner which was chicken and rice! On boxing day we hung out by the pool and in the evening 15 of us went out for a steak and wine dinner - the best one I have ever had!! James and I shared one and it was just enormous! After this we headed to the main strip of bars for a few drinks.

We didnt do too much in Salta, we walked to the main plaza which had some pretty cathedrals and got the cable car to the top of one of the mountains for a panoramic view of the city. We were cheapskates and only bought the ascending journey, which meant we had to walk the 1012 steps back down! Better than going up though!! Apart from that we mainly spent our time chilling by the pool in the hostel and makling friends! 3 of whom we would travel to Bolivia with for New Year, but that is another story!!

We have enjoyed our time in Argentina so much and look forward to coming back to the country towards the end of our time in South America when we do the wine tours of Mendoza!


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb