Salta Again


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Salta » Salta
January 24th 2010
Published: July 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

My sister has told me that she gets tired just from reading our blog entries; we cram so much travel and activity in such a short amount of time! I could see her point, although we tried to fit in a few down days where we could. Argentina was where we really lost control, although we were just as bad (if not worse) in New Zealand later on. After leaving the sun-drenched relaxed atmosphere of El Cafayate, we went nuts jig-zagging the country, with a jaunt to Chile thrown in. We didn't settle down until we hit Bariloche almost a month later. About a quarter of those nights were spent on buses or planes. Looking back at our travel calendar, I get exhausted just thinking about those times and trying to write about it all (months later...).

*Sigh*

We arrived back in Salta at around 8pm on Saturday, Jan. 23rd and returned to the Terra Occulta hostel. The next day, we booked an afternoon bus ride to Posadas, in the Misiones Province, in the very northeast "panhandle" part of the country. It was a sunny Sunday and we had a few hours to kill. We took a gondola from
Hostel hallwayHostel hallwayHostel hallway

Our room was on the right.
the Parque San Martin to the municipal park on top of Cerro San Berradro, a hill right in the city. The park had pleasant green spaces and manmade waterfalls. It was the kind of place you might take an out-of-town guest if you lived in Salta, but I wouldn't advise taking much trouble to see it. Just compare our pictures of this park with Iguazu Falls in the blog entry after next (To be published). After walking down the hill, we returned to the central square, Plaza 9 de Julio, one last time to look around, stopping along the way for a few pictures of the Iglesia San Francisco.

At 4:30 pm, we started our first overnight bus ride in Argentina. Sometime in the middle of the night (or early morning) we switched buses in Corrientes and continued onto Posada, arriving around 9 am the next morning. In Posada, we found a local bus which took us to our final destination in San Ignacio, arriving around 11 am. As we had been told, the buses were comfortable, and we were given a decent meal. Still, a bus seat, even a reclining one, wasn't as comfortable as a bed, and neither of us got much sleep. Sleep deprivation, stiff limbs, and quarreling would be as regular as teeth brushing, and more regular than showers, in the weeks to come.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

El TerrefericoEl Terreferico
El Terreferico

takes us up to Cerro something for a great view of the city below.
More cascades on CerroMore cascades on Cerro
More cascades on Cerro

Not too impressive after Iguazu, but still nice all the same.


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb