linzica - unplugged


Advertisement
Published: March 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

the elegant mutisia flowerthe elegant mutisia flowerthe elegant mutisia flower

typical flower of the southern argentina patagonia region. gorgeous, especially in contrast to the burnt forest.also known as quiñilhue, this is the provincial flower of the province of Neuquen
Arriving in Buenos Aires yesterday after a 22 hour bus ride was like someone starting to rock out my favorite song on a sexy navy Fender guitar, it was like hopping onto the back of a black 2005 Ducati ST3 motorbike with my hair out on a busy highway without a helmet. Buenos Aires is a labyrinth of streets, smog, horns, lights and thrills.

When I reflect back on the past three weeks in Junin de los Andes, and especially our time in Bariloche, it can be described best as, unplugged. Bariloche was a deep breath of fresh greens, fresh water falls, cold air and familiar faces, I realized how much I love the mountains and how safe and at home I feel folded in between their valleys and peaks.

Lindsay and I had so many laughs and adventures in Bariloche, during our hike, at the random massage place, dancing at the reggae show so that we wouldn´t fall asleep, eating loads of ice cream, and pretending she was from Turkey! Her name was Malek (which means angel in Turkish), and we created a huge story about how we met and why she was in Argentina. We tripped
still enthusiasticstill enthusiasticstill enthusiastic

hamming it up, as usual, before the hike. trust me, after 1700m and almost 5 hours of hiking, there was no joking around!
a few times during the story and at the end of it all, we confessed to our new friends the truth. They weren't pleased with us, but relieved that we didn't have to only speak in spanish anymore, Malek couldn't speak english, and if she did it was with a harsh slovakian accent (????). Anyway, yes, Bariloche and Junin are wonderful places where watches don't matter, people smile on the street, dogs roam ragged, and where the trees and flowers tell stories. It was as if Hailey Troock was singing to us in the hills, with her magestic voice filling our lungs and hearts.

And now, back to Buenos Aires. We moved in today. We were estatic, jumping and dancing around, unpacking, (we have over 100 dried sunrype fruit-to-go's thanks to Val Wojtula, thanks Val!!!) and some peanut butter too! Anyway, it is almost 8:00 and Lindsay in getting dinner started. As anyone who knows Lindsay can imagine, I better go. A gas stove, Lindsay and spagheti noodles, I don´t know... (just kidding Lindsay, I know you'll be fine!)

Anyway, school starts on monday, on saturday we are going to a 'country club' with some other exchange students
lindsay and the flowerslindsay and the flowerslindsay and the flowers

it was just so refreshing being surrounded by flowers, bamboo, trees and wilderness
for a BBQ (yipee) and swim, on sunday we have a date with a friend of Heather Gloster's and on tuesday a spanish exam!!! So, we'll be sure to write again next week with some pictures of our apartment all set up and hopefully not too messy!

Muchos besos (lots of kisses) from Buenos Aires

Jenica or 'Yeni' as the argentines we've met like to say


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

viewview
view

que bella vista (what a great view), the entire way our breathe was taken away, mainly from the hiking, but also from the view!
like a bridge ...like a bridge ...
like a bridge ...

what shall i write, i mean, it´s a little bridge over running water..?
the valleythe valley
the valley

just before we arrived we were blessed by this gorgeous view, in the winter some locos (crazies) ski this, as it is the back side of Cerro Catedral!
refugio freyrefugio frey
refugio frey

the little refuge/hut where we ate, slept, froze and enjoyed the company of an international group of people. it is heated by a wood stove and the electricity comes from hydro spinners in the creek. there is one cat and one guitar, and heaps of climbing books
hanging outhanging out
hanging out

hanging out, watching boys to pull ups and waiting out the snow! yes, SNOW! we left snowy canada only to wake up to a few centimeters of white stuff on the ground!
our roomour room
our room

simple and woody, but much better than a tent, at least for one night.
our friendsour friends
our friends

lindsay and some friends that we walked down with after the snowy clouds blew into sunshine, emmanuel from guatemala on the left and Cao (kyle) from USA on the right.
down the pathdown the path
down the path

who would have thought? the trip down was much quicker and much better, however, our legs and butts are still suffering today, (almost a week later!)
bariloche sky linebariloche sky line
bariloche sky line

back in town, we treated ourselves to icecream, chocolates, lunch and a long nap.
home is where the heart is, ¿no?home is where the heart is, ¿no?
home is where the heart is, ¿no?

lindsay, Maria Mercedes, and I in the room where I used to stay in 2003!!! It was so great that my host family took us in for a few days!!!
mercedes, lindsay, josemercedes, lindsay, jose
mercedes, lindsay, jose

out for icecream at 1:30 am after going out for dinner at 11:30! after ice cream we went to see a reggae show and then dancing. ok, I´m exaggerating, we did not go dancing, we were actually so tired at 4 when the show ended, that we went home. but really, some people get started at 4 and dancing until 8 or 9!!!!
jenica, lucas and laurajenica, lucas and laura
jenica, lucas and laura

last night, (wednesday), was our first night back in Buenos Aires, we met up with two of my friends from Bariloche, it was great to see them and here about what everyone from our class is doing now.
buenos airesbuenos aires
buenos aires

quite a change
$6462.35$6462.35
$6462.35

The total amount we paid today for 5 months in our humble apartement in Belgrano. Yipee! Our first time ever signing a contract for our own place! We were quite thrilled, and glad to get the money out of our sweaty and nervous hands, you never know when carrying around so much cash!!!!


2nd March 2006

Lindsay Cooking??!!
Sorry - I can't let this one go by!Do you know how many saucepans have been burned and there was that time when I came home late to find all the windows open because Lindsay had burned something but then remembered that Martha Stewart said that if you fill the burned pot with water and brought it to the boil it would clean out the pot - Martha forgot to say don't let it boil dry again!!Watch out Jen!!
3rd March 2006

que aventura
what an adventure. breathtaking pics. beautiful men. incredible landscapes. naked apartment, dirty that place up quick, its not looking like your bedrooms yet, home sweet home!
3rd March 2006

Love you girls!
Yeni: Fantastic update, as usual! I love being able to share in your adventures and antics, even if only through the great photos you put up. Cuidate Mucho nena, y buena suerte en tu examen! Linds: GUICHET!! M-AAAA-LEK! This blog entry made me laugh so much, imagining the "let's-pretend-you're-from-turkey" game. [I've played it with her too Jen...fun huh?? :)] I miss you loads, and can't wait to hear about your first experiences in your new BsAs life. Mucho amor mis queridas! Las extraño demasiado!
3rd March 2006

Great Start
Looks like a wonderful adventure. I just turned 50 on Friday and looking back, it was the crazy wild stuff like you're doing that really turned my crank. Looks like your will be a great crank turning as well. Good luck, Brian
3rd March 2006

beautiful pics!! dont have soo much time reading every single line right now, but you have to know I read you!!!! ;) kisses from Montreal!
4th March 2006

Hot Date!
Hi Girls! Oh it all looks so wonderful! I love your little pad, but I do agree with Hailey that you need to mess it up a little. You will have to post us your street address so we can send you a post card with the UBCO library on it. I am excited that you are going on a date with my friend Marcelo. You will have to post a photo of that! Today we enjoyed a lecture at UBCO by Sue Johanson (of the Sunday night sex show). Hails, Michelle and I had a few too many laughs...the beers in the Well previous to the lecture didn't help our giggles! Have a great time at school. We are thinking about you. Luv, Heather
5th March 2006

ahhhhh, free spirit
unplugged indeed not only in spirit but loquacious verbosity as well. just finished kee's xmas present and the adventures so eloquently described makes me really glad you and lins are doing what you are doing. go well ambassadors. hugs m
7th March 2006

Technology luddite
Hey Jenica, I tried to send you an e-mail via this blog, can you let me know if it arrived? Thanks so. G
11th April 2006

Jealous
Wow that hike sounds awe-inspiring! Good to hear that you two are doing well! Keep up the good blogging. I'll be down there some day.

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0224s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb