Bariloche and El Bolsón


Advertisement
Published: November 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Now we are officially in Patagonia, albeit the northern end that looks more like British Columbia. We are in the resort town of San Carlos de Bariloche on Lago Nahuel Haupi. Thanksgiving is in the air. The flowers are starting to drop off the trees. The days are eating further into the nights. It gets dark at after 9 pm now. The warm summer air is starting to peak its head.

We passed through Bariloche at first, instantly excited for the lush forests creeping up the snow-capped mountains, the huge glacial lakes, the flowers. The next day, we took a bus 2 hours south to the smaller mountain town of El Bolsón for the weekend. El Bolsón sits in a hole, like Jackson, WY, with mountains on 4 sides. We stayed at a very cool hostel 1.5 miles north of town, in a cabaña (or cabin) we rented for about $30/night. This hostel, El Pueblito, was our favorite to date, filled with fun travelers from all over the world, and we ate dinner together in the common area each night, where we met Yiss, an Australian who joined us on a hiking trip. We hiked to our first refugio above the Bosque Tallerdero, an area of burned out forest that has been turned into an official sculpture garden halfway up Mt. Piltriquitrón. At the refugio we bought some homebrewed beer and continued up. We will soon be hiking and staying at more refugios, which remind us our hut trips in Colorado. El Bolsón also has an active market three times a week, and excellent ice cream.

Now we are staying in the resort community of Llao Llao (pronounced Shou Shou), at a 250 sq. ft. casita overlooking the lake, owned by an internet friend. We are here for a week to hike and explore Bariloche, the larger town 24 km to the east. Mark even got in his first mountain bike ride. The hikes here are full of tall beech trees, bamboo and fern, with incredible views of country pock-marked with huge glacial lakes and valleys. The town is friendly with good eats and infrastructure.

We have arranged to rent an apartment for the month of January and study Spanish at one of the many institutes. We went to another--you guessed it--asado with 3 other American couples, 2 living here and one on their honeymoon. The latter couple, Eric and Liz from California, celebrated Thanksgiving with us at a parrilla, where the traditional barbecue feast consisted of murcilla (blood sausage), sweatbreads (thymus gland), and sesos--brains! Mark tried them, and Kati wished she would have because Mark was a bit smarter afterwards.

Our explorations into Patagonia proper begin on Sunday. We are taking an overnight bus directly east to Puerto Madryn to see the breeding Southern Right Whales and penguins! And from there we journey to the end of the earth.

We want to wish everyone at home a happy December. We love your pictures and comments. We are more settled into our travel routine- and are ready for about 3-4 weeks of backpacking before settling down again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

el pueblito cabanael pueblito cabana
el pueblito cabana

not bad for 30 beans!
The refugioThe refugio
The refugio

They haul everything up here without a car.
SpringSpring
Spring

These flowers were everywhere!
Rainbow over BarilocheRainbow over Bariloche
Rainbow over Bariloche

This will be the view from our apartment!
View of the lakeView of the lake
View of the lake

A reward of a hike
Disfruta!Disfruta!
Disfruta!

Mark enjoys the beach


29th November 2008

Looks like you are having a great time. I love how you seem to find all the wonderful ice cream shops!Hope you had a good Thanksgiving... Love, Lori
30th November 2008

Las fotos son muy bellas
Truly breathtaking! Quite a mixture of Spanish and another language, perhaps a native language? Espero con interés la lectura y ver más. Amor y paz, Tu prima
30th November 2008

Your trip
Is there a way to see the route you are taking on a map?
1st December 2008

Love your blog!
Greetings from New Jersey! Your trip sounds wonderful and we are enjoying the photos. We missed you at Thanksgiving dinner, which was very delicious. Keep posting the great prose and pics so we can feel like we are with you guys. Adam is anxious to meet you in Argentina. All our love - your Hunter cousins
1st December 2008

Hola viajeros
Hola Mark and Kati, Bariloche y El Bolsón son muy precioso! Que chulo las cabañitas! A principio no me gustaba nada la morcilla pero ahora creo que esta rico. Hay que probarlo. Todavia no voy a probrar los sesos. sigue vos pasando bien, besos, Mindi
4th December 2008

This looks awesome
keep these coming, I read them with delight. Your trip looks like no fun whatsoever. Cheers,

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.07s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb