Popcorn, Horses and Snow


Advertisement
Published: October 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi All

It has been a few days since our last entry and we have had quiet an adventure since then.

Last Tues (2-10) we flew from Punta Arenas to Puerto Mont (chilean lake district), but were recommended to stay in Puerto Varras, which is half an hour from PM. We were picked up from the airport from the hostel owner, who was also our tour guide throughout our stay. When we arrived at The hostel, we instantly loved it as not only did it have 2 warm fires burning, but also had such a friendly and homely feeling and we were the only ones there, so we had a run of the place.

On Wed we had a personal guide who took us on an amazing day trip. Our first stop was at the lake Llanqueche which is an amazing green lake on the edge of a forest. We then went to the Orsono Volcano, which is dormant and covered with ice and look just like a normal mountain, its last erruption was over a 100 years ago and they are predicting a new one soon. It was freezing at the highest point that we could reach with the car and we were going to go up in the ski lift to get as closer to the top, but it was closed due to bad weather. But it was amazing just walking around the area on walking on lava and basalt. We then were taken to small waterfalls and then were driven to a wonderful forest. The weather cleared up and we were able to do a magnificiant walk along a desolate black sand beach and forest for 2 hrs.

Late afternoon/ evening we spent walking around the town of Puerto Varras. The town itself was very pretty and there was a lot to do, but the weather was predicted to turn on us, so we decided that the following day was to be our travelling day and an opportunity to make our way to Bariloche.

Thurs -travelled to Bariloche - Argentian lake district- the bus drive was spectacular as many of the mountains had snow on them and then the lakes were flowing. During the border crossing from Chile to Argentina the snow was several meters deep.

Fri - Bariloche. We decided to do a boat trip in the afternoon, but since it was Friday night, thought that it would be great to see if we could find a chabad house. We emailed the local Rabbi, but then realised that he would not answer us as it was a chag, so went to find the chabad house, which was located in the centre of town and he told us that we should come at around 7.30. Our boat trip was to the Isle of Victoria and another island with 100 year old trees. The trip would have been amazing, however the boat driver spoke no English and it rained and snowed each time we got off the boat. The only concelation was that an old spanish couple who spoke no english took pity on us and plied us with Mate (local tea) and buiscuts.

Upon returning to our hostel we were freezing and wet, but we showered and rushed to get to the Chabad House. Only when we got there around 7.45 they had not even started the service. This only commenced half an hour later. We were the only English speaking people there, everyone else was israeli. Peòple were quiet friendly and the food was good, Steve was so glad to get his hands on some kosher meat. Since we have not been to a chabad house before, we were not entirely sure of the custom. However this rabbi decided neat vodka was the drink of the night and got really drunk and desert was popcorn and cake - definitly an experience not to forget. The drunken Rabbi more than made up for the lack of movie to go with the pop corn.

Sat- The weather was finally on our side and the sun was shining and we could finally appreciate the amazing view of the lakes and the snow capped mountains from the hostel. We went up to Cerro (mount) otto to look at the views which were amazing. We then decided to do a 3 hr horse ride. There was another Israeli couple (the girl had never riden before) and an experienced rider and of course our guide. Once aquinted with our horses, the trail was in the mountain which was amazing we went up and down revines,mountains and passes and had the most spectacular views of the city. It was truly an amazing experience. Accept on the way back the horses knew that they were nealy home and they started trotting on the own velisheon and steve was a little concerned about the crown jewels-

Sun - Our last day in Bariloche, although we love the place and could have stayed a week, but due to bad flight options we were forced to leave. We went to the other ski resort where there was a little skiing happening and then spènt the after noon lazing on the rocks by the beach and enjoying the sunshine.

We are now in Santiago and are flying tom to Calama and going to San Pedro de Catama

Signing off for now - J & S





Advertisement



9th October 2007

Wow another amazing week. Obviously views from Mount Otto would be great :-)

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0318s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb