Muheres y Hombres


Advertisement
Published: January 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We are now on the Argentinian side of the Lake District of Patagonia... and one could describe it as ´very, very, very nice´. A few days ago we set off on what we thought to be a leisurely two day hike alongside a river to Laguna Negra. Turns out that we climbed a pass and ended up camping about 100m away from snow! Mum´s spirits sunk to an all time low when James told her that we had to walk up over the mountain... and not around it or through it. But then James lifted her spirits by carrying her pack for her for the last half hour. The mountain ranges were amazing, the rivers and lakes were pristine and the bush was very lush! The water was so crystal clear that were no problems drinking straight from it. One might think that on a 5 hour hike in that one would pack light on such occasions... though, in true Bellingham/Matthews fashion we managed to hike in 1600g of Argentinian steaks and 2 bottles of Argentinian wine. It was a lovely way to unwind after such a scramble up the mountain.

Bariloche is also known for its chocolates so we have been wandering the streets tasting what Bariloche has to offer. Morning tea today involved chocolate and coffee.

From what we have seen of Argentina so far we have enjoyed... there are shops and food at the gas stations, people obey the traffic signals and road rules, not everyone is trying to rip you off, we can drink water straight from the stream, we can swim in lakes, the roads are paved with asphalt, the streets are clean and trash free, there is a distinct lack of stray dogs and public transport uses vehicles that are less than 10 years old.

The other day Mum and Dad went to the public bathrooms and saw an ´H´and an ´M´sign on the bathroom door. So Dad shoved mum into the ´H´ toilet, thinking that ´M´was for mens and ´H´was for hens.... but alas, ´H´stands for ´hombres´(mens) and ´M´stands for ´mujeres´(womens). I came round the corner and saw mum stunned to see a man walking to the ´H´toilet as she had just walked out and Dad was a little surprised not to find a urinal.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



8th January 2007

Increible!!!
I am very happy that you are having such a blessing time. I am looking forward to see you guys and meet your parents. When are you arriving to La Paz? I was thinking that your parnts can stay in Greg's house because they won't be here till march. Let me know. Love you both, Dani

Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0672s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb