Two Shore Excursions in One Day After a Short Night – Buenos Aires, Argentina Day 2


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
February 14th 2023
Published: February 22nd 2023
Edit Blog Post

“Panoramic Highlights of Buenos Aires” Shore Excursion – Buenos Aires, Argentina“Panoramic Highlights of Buenos Aires” Shore Excursion – Buenos Aires, Argentina“Panoramic Highlights of Buenos Aires” Shore Excursion – Buenos Aires, Argentina

The Interiors of Many of the Stores Were More Conventional than the Exteriors
I have been able to see at least a portion of most of the NFL playoff games on the ship’s TV system. I’m not sure how all that works, but the U.S. broadcast networks are not routinely available on the ship, and, regardless of the network broadcasting the game, all the commercials have been promoting ESPN programming. Regardless, Holland America put on a very nice Super Bowl Party in the World Stage on the theater screen on Sunday evening. It was well attended with a crowd of about 5-4 Kansas City Chiefs fans in attendance. Unfortunately, the game didn’t start until 8:30 PM local time, getting very close to my bedtime. I left at half time to perform my nightly ritual, watched the third quarter from my loveseat (while the sleeping pill took effect) and began watching the fourth quarter in bed somewhere around 11:30 PM – well past my bedtime! Of course, I woke up long enough to turn off the TV AFTER the game was history. That made for a sleep-deprived Monday, February 13, 2023.

I wanted to get a feel for the city, so I signed up for the “Panoramic Highlights of Buenos Aires” shore excursion. From the Holland America web site, "This panoramic drive through Buenos Aires covers many of the city's highlights, beginning with San Telmo and La Boca -- two lively and colorful areas. Continue downtown towards the Plaza de Mayo to see the Casa Rosada (Government House), the Metropolitan Cathedral and the Cabildo -- Buenos Aires' first City Hall, originally built during the colonial era and reconstructed in 1940. Driving along Avenida de Mayo, you will see the Congress building. Traveling down the city's widest Boulevard, 9 de Julio, watch for the Colón Theatre -- one of the world's best-known opera houses and the cultural pride of every porteño. Continue to Palermo with its beautiful parks. At the end of the tour, you will pass through the Recoleta area -- one of the city's most glamorous spots -- as you return to the pier. Notes: Expect traffic delays in the port area due to an ongoing construction project. Delays may extend tour duration by up to one hour. Your driver will do his/her best to minimize the inconvenience; your patience is appreciated."

Maybe the rain was supposed to wash the sleep from my eyes, or maybe it was supposed to remind me of the great weather we have had to this point in the cruise, or maybe it was supposed to wash the coach windows. If the latter was the intend, the rain gods did a crummy job. The rain merely provided streaks and droplets to undermine Uncle Larry’s photographic efforts. NONE of the photos I took from the coach were worthy of leaving on the hard drive let alone including in the blog. Suffice it to say, I’m glad I got a few descent pictures of Buenos Aires landmarks on the way to the pampas on Sunday last. The tour guide did provide some more insight into the history and culture of Argentina, and the tour made one remarkable and memorable stop so my money was not entirely wasted. La Boca, the mouth (of the river) in Spanish, is a colorful, vibrant barrio (neighborhood) that totally reminds me of Mardi Gras in Louisiana or carnival in South America where I WAS able to get some acceptable photos for this blog and for my future enjoyment.

La Boca might be the embodiment of quirky! Overpriced seems to be universally applied to the “tourist trap,” but Fodor's, publisher of English language travel and tourism information, cautions, “Today, La Boca is a presentation in contrasts. It’s still a highly working-class neighborhood; this isn’t where the city’s young and wealthy are living. Locals will tell you to avoid it at night, and even when walking the streets during daylight, you can sense the mood change on certain streets. Tourists are often targeted for pick-pocketing. But on the other hand, on weekend afternoons, the neighborhood is swarming with tourists. Many people, locals, and newcomers alike, will tell you the area is a total tourist trap, filled with overpriced eateries and pushy owners.” In the 45-minute tour stop we made, I didn’t experience pushy owners or wander far from the one-block area where we disembarked. I thoroughly enjoyed the stop and included Fodor’s description merely as an FYI. Oh yes, I bought a very tasty empanada from a local bakery for about $2.50 USD. After returning to the ship, I got a much-needed nap to prepare for the evening festivities.

Arguably, Argentina is tango. I would be inclined to argue that Argentina is beef, especially after the meal we had at the hacienda on Sunday last. Regardless the winner, tango is an integral part of
“Panoramic Highlights of Buenos Aires” Shore Excursion – Buenos Aires, Argentina“Panoramic Highlights of Buenos Aires” Shore Excursion – Buenos Aires, Argentina“Panoramic Highlights of Buenos Aires” Shore Excursion – Buenos Aires, Argentina

Most Stores with Upper Floors Sported Balconies with “Lively” Mannequins
Argentine culture and tradition, so failing to snatch the opportunity to participate in the shore excursion “Tango: A Night of Passion & Desire” would be akin to telling Uncle Larry, “You might as well have stayed at home!” From the Holland America web site, the event is described as: "A choice of marvelously entertaining tango shows has been arranged exclusively for the guests of Holland America Line. Depart from the pier en route to one of the most iconic tango theatres in Buenos Aires for a spectacular presentation of the acclaimed, popular and sensuous tango. It is a dance often referred to as a vertical expression of a horizontal desire. Upon your arrival, drinks will be served in opulent surroundings while the artists get ready for the tango show. Then, the tango is performed by exceptional professionals who will leave you breathless with their skills, timing, passion and stamina. You'll be amazed by the dancers' and live orchestra's intensity and precision as they take you on an exquisitely choreographed journey through the ages of Argentina's most celebrated dance. After the show, it's time to dance your way back to the coach for the short ride back to the pier."
“Panoramic Highlights of Buenos Aires” Shore Excursion – Buenos Aires, Argentina“Panoramic Highlights of Buenos Aires” Shore Excursion – Buenos Aires, Argentina“Panoramic Highlights of Buenos Aires” Shore Excursion – Buenos Aires, Argentina

Yes, The World Cup Champion Argentine Football Team Is Honored with Uniforms

As soon as we were seated, what appeared but more empanadas! Nibble, munch and chat with the couple seated across from me who have been on the cruise for as long as I, but whom I can’t remember seeing previously. They, too, could not remember seeing me. I guess it’s easy to be lost in a crowd when one is not making a spectacle of one’s self! The show began shortly after the tables had been cleared of the dishes and our wine glasses were replenished. I know nothing of the tango (nor of dancing in general), so I can’t report on the caliber nor the authenticity of the performance – music, dance nor song; but it sure was entertaining to this country bumpkin. Again, the verdict on the returning bus was, money well–spent.

On Tuesday, February 14, 2023, Saint Valentine’s Day, I chose to stay aboard ship and catch up on some Internet–dependent activities (like the travel blog) while I had the opportunity. As I was evaluating the upcoming shore excursions, it occurred to me that we would be spending a lot of time in Brazil. Indeed, including both our days in port and our days at sea/river, it would be an incredible 24 days from the time I stepped from Argentine soil onto the ship until I would set my foot on something other than Brazilian soil. Now, I’m beginning to get really excited about the Amazon!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0248s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb