On the road


Advertisement
Published: November 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

TehuelcheTehuelcheTehuelche

The production room.
Today we hit the road!

After the explanation of the strange ways that the rental car system works here, I cannot explain it, it is all in Spanish, we loaded our bags into a two door Fiat and took off. But before leaving Bariloche, John wanted to visit Tehuelche. This is a small producer of travel gear and clothing. It was a great place, supporting a team of seamstresses and the family that owns the company. We found it after driving past it several times...it took yet another helpful Argentine to guide us to the place. John picked up a pair of pants and custom ordered another!

We then left Bariloche headed for Villa Traful which you reach via 25 km of gravel road. when we got there we found it was significantly smaller than expected and the reason for going there, fishing, was not going to happen because there was no place to purchase flies. But we did arrive for the towns birthday celebration, complete with the president of the province, awards to teachers, policemen, and civic leaders, children and gauchos in traditional dress and a parade.

We pressed on thinking perhaps the next small town....wrong, it consisted of a closed hotel and campground.

So we decided to make for San Martin a day early. This turns out to be the Argentine version of Vail, except you can afford stuff. For about $235A (or around $25US given the exchange rate we had salad, mixed grill for two, and a bottle of wine and one of water--it is impossible to get tap water at most restaurants). We also found a couple of fly shops, both directed us to the same river and suggested the same flies, so we are set for tomorrow.

Advertisement



30th November 2013

Trip
I am enjoying your trip
11th December 2013

On the road in Argentina
I discovered your blogs tonight and have enjoyed reading them. An affordable Vail....very cool. Look forward to reading your next blog.
25th January 2014

Sorry I never responded
Sorry I did not respond to your nice comment. I am still trying to use this site.

Tot: 0.322s; Tpl: 0.05s; cc: 19; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0636s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb