Part One - San Martin & Bariloche


Advertisement
Published: June 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi all. Yes, we have been home now for a month, and yes, this is very overdue, but we wanted to write about the highlights of our last three weeks of our trip. We especially wanted to take the opportunity to show our friends and family that live out-of-state our last bunch of photos. Enjoy the last four journal entries!

San Martin de los Andes: After climbing Volcano Villarica in Chile, we headed east for Argentina. After some debate on where to go, we opted for the sleepy town of San Martin de los Andes. We were so happy that we did! It is a very beautiful resort town, surrounded by amazing scenery. The highlight of our stay there was doing the Seven Lakes Tour. This is a tour that is quite popular for tourists to do in a tour bus, but we were glad that we chose to do it by rental car. After finding an Argentine car big enough for Bryan to fit his legs in, we took off in our Volkswagen Gol (as in soccer goal). The tour was breathtaking. Equipped with a map from our car rental agency we were off! The tour took us through windy, gravel roads through some of the most beautiful countryside scenery we’ve seen. The tour promises seven lakes, but we counted at least 13 along the way. Each lake warranted at least 10 or 15 photos, so it should have been no surprise to us when the sun started to set before we had gotten our little car through a mountain pass. Fortunately, we made it back safely with just a few near misses involving a huge deer (think Bambi’s dad) and some humungous Argentine beef cows. The tour was wonderful, and the town of San Martin was one of our favorites.

Bariloche: After San Martin we headed to Bariloche, which has the reputation as being a great Argentine resort town. Coming from San Martin, we were not that impressed, so we cut our time short here. One highlight of Bariloche was running into our friends from England, Martin and Corinna, and having a great dinner with them. Another highlight was hitching a ride home one night with someone who turned out to be the Chilean consular for Bariloche.



Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Melia Modeling her 3rd fleece of the tripMelia Modeling her 3rd fleece of the trip
Melia Modeling her 3rd fleece of the trip

don't ask how she got to number 3!
Amazing Dinner @ one of San Martin's finestAmazing Dinner @ one of San Martin's finest
Amazing Dinner @ one of San Martin's finest

The specialty was local venison. We opted for the parilla para dos
Yes my legs did fit in the rental carYes my legs did fit in the rental car
Yes my legs did fit in the rental car

This was our trusty VW Gol that we drove around in for a long day of amazing driving.
Lake #1Lake #1
Lake #1

The fog was still rising off the lakes
Lake #1 dosLake #1 dos
Lake #1 dos

Skies were beautiful!
Jumping from a car is not allowed?Jumping from a car is not allowed?
Jumping from a car is not allowed?

Can anyone tell us the true meaning of this warning sign?
Falls in the Valley Falls in the Valley
Falls in the Valley

Fall is in the air!
Hidden LakeHidden Lake
Hidden Lake

Aqua Blue water was amazing.
Hidden LakeHidden Lake
Hidden Lake

Aqua Blue water was amazing.


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb