Feliz Cumpleanos Mrs P!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Misiones » Puerto Iguazú
March 27th 2012
Published: April 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

As a birthday treat for Mrs P we travelled back into Argentina and up to Puerto Iguazu via trains, planes and automobiles, or more precisely a ferry, a taxi (with a Falklands/Malvinas vet who shares our "love" for Mrs Thatcher) and a 12 hour overnight coach (a bed on a bus!!!) trip.

After several cheap nights in the tent we decided to live it up at the Marco Polo ($45 per night!), poosh hostel with pool and nice brekky with trifle sponges (Kathers had more than her fair share!!)

Puerto Iguazu is the nearest town for visiting the falls and thats what we did;

Firstly from the Argentine side

A large National Park with intricate paths running through the jungle/forest which tease you with various viewpoints of the numerous waterfalls. And for us that was the biggest surprise, the sheer number of spectacular waterfalls, each stunning in their own right, Dos Hermanas is a good example. We were also impressed by the wildlife; coaties, caimen, turtles, un-identified birds (where´s Bill?), BIG fish (dorados we think), BIG spiders, BIG BIG ants and hundreds, if not thousands, of assorted colourful butterflies, in some places there were so many it almost had you in a trance!

Secondly from the Brazillian side

Another four stamps in the passport for Mrs P on her birthday (OUT Argentina, IN Brazil, OUT Brazil, IN Argentina!!). Most reviews seem to suggest that the views from this side are the most stunning. It´s true that you get a better panoramic view giving you a better understanding of the Geology and Geography of the falls, however you just don´t get the same dramatic element from being so close as you do on the Argies side. Sorry Brazil, nothing personal, still had a great day out and Mrs P picked up a nice t-shirt for her birthday.

We spent our nights in Puerto Iguazu in the feria (market) up in the north of the town, it had a real vibe, lots of stalls selling olives and cheeses and numerous cafes/bars full of Brazillians who come over the border for the cheap cerveza. People watching paradise!

And so off to Paraguay as a stop off en route to Bolivia. We need a purpose, this last month has month has been a wonderful adventure to wind down but we´re in need of something to do!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Dos HermanasDos Hermanas
Dos Hermanas

Made Mrs P emotional about her girls and her sister!


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb