Loads of water


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Misiones » Puerto Iguazú
April 8th 2009
Published: April 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After a 20 hour bus from Rosario we arrived at Puerto Iguazu right up in the Northeast corner of Argentina. It was hot, very hot. I moaned about the heat and Sarah moaned at me for moaning about the heat.
The town was really nice and pretty laid back and not as expensive as we thought and was only half an hour from the waterfalls which is what we had gone to see. We stayed 4 nights at a friendly hospedaje and got some well needed laundry action.

The waterfalls are some of the largest in the world and are made up of 275 different falls with a section called Garganta Del Diablo (Devil's Throat) being the most spectacular. The border of Argentina and Brazil runs through the river and the falls themselves and it is possible to view them from either side. Most of the falls are on the Argentina side and you can get really close to them on a system of walkways and paths.

We spent the whole day around the waterfalls and they were incredible. We started on the lower walkways which take you close to many of the individual falls and then got a boat over to an island where there are views of dozens of falls. The highlight was a boat trip that takes you almost directly underneath one of the very big falls and you obviously get soaked. Then we went round the upper walkways and finished at the viewpoint of the Garganta Del Diablo which was the most amazing thing we had seen so far on the trip. The water was thundering over the falls about 50 metres away and it was hard to stop staring at it.

Another highlight of the park was the animals. There were hundreds of different types of butterflies, coatis, birds, weird insects, fish and lizards. The photos do a better job of explaining it all.

After a couple of days of wandering round Puerto Iguazu we decided to go over into Brazil to see the falls from the other side of the river as that side gives a more complete view of the falls but from a further distance.

We'll have to crack on with that blog otherwise we'll never get up to date.....










Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Boat under waterfallBoat under waterfall
Boat under waterfall

We went on this boat and got a bit wet.
CoatisCoatis
Coatis

The one sniffing Sarah's feet was dead soon after.
Another butterflyAnother butterfly
Another butterfly

So many butterflies
Garganta Del DiabloGarganta Del Diablo
Garganta Del Diablo

From Argentine side
RiverRiver
River

The other side is Brazil


Tot: 0.202s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1598s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb