From the highs of travelling to the lows.... (part one)


Advertisement
Published: February 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After teasing ourselves with the few small waterfalls in Paraty and Ilha Grande, it was time now for the mother of all waterfalls, Iguazu!!! After two different buses and almost 24 hours on the road, we crossed the border into Argentina and headed to a small town called Puerto Iguazu, the tourist access point to everything waterfall related.

Now when you think of famous waterfalls, most people would probably have Niagara come to mind first, which is justified as it wins the ‘largest waterfall award’ for its annual volume of flowing water, but Iguazu comes in a close second. And considering that the waterfall system of Iguazu runs for almost 3km long, with some falls over 80 metres high, the sheer size of Iguazu has won it a place in the new 7 natural wonders of the world list.

After visiting Victoria falls in Africa late last year, I was expecting our trip to Iguazu falls to go something like this: enter a national park surrounding the falls, walk for a bit, be pretty impressed by flowing water, take some pictures, and that be that. Man I was wrong.

First of all the park on the Argentinian side of the falls had about 5 different walking tracks that we weren’t even sure where to start. We had heard about a boat ride that you could do, so decided to head to that first. When we got our first glimpse of the falls, they were far off in the distance, but even then we were absolutely gob smacked. The sheer size of them was just unbelievable.

We spent the next 7 hours in the park, walking all the different trails and viewing all the different falls from various angles, including from right in them…on a speed boat on the river below. It was only a 12 minute trip but it took you right under some of the fastest flowing falls and gave you an idea of just how powerful the water is.

So all in all, we were completely blow away with the beauty of this place and agreed that really, nothing beats the beauty of Mother Nature! After loving it so much, we went back a second day and did the same thing. We both agreed, this was the highlight of our trip so far and the best two days….amazing.

Unfortunately I cant share with you photos of this incredible place, stay tuned to find out why.

To be continued…

Side Note: They say the best way of getting to know someone is to travel with them. I am finding this to be very true and discovering new things about Zack every day. My newest discovery is that he has a secret obsession with butterflies. They were everywhere in the park and numerous times when I was quietly admiring the falls Zack would grab me in a panic and demand I look at a pretty yellow one (haha, sorry babe). At one point, I think I even saw him chase a few….!




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



14th February 2011

Camera
Replacement on it's way via UPS carriers. Forcast to arrive Wednesday at Zack Ridgley Buenos Aires Sucursal Central Pte. Luis Saenz Peña 1351 (C1135ABC) Ciudad Autonoma de Buenos Aires Take Care Grandad Tel.: 0-800-2222-877(UPS)

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb