IGUAZU FALLS: More An Experience Than A Sight.


Advertisement
Published: August 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Iguazu falls is a physical phenomenon - 1750 cubic metres per second running off the edge of a basalt shelf up to 72m high. Scientists have explained the effect this has on you by documenting the presence of charged ions in the air below the falls, causing an elevation in mood. The park even has a service to measure your blood pressure before and after visiting them.

But nothing can explain the pure thrill of standing on the viewing platform close to the base of a massive fall, with every sense being inundated as you are buffeted and soaked by the air and moisture hurtling at you. The roar is marvellous. There are few things in life that can move you back akin to a grinning 4 year old at Christmas time, and then move you into a state of pure contentment for an hour. A smoker would probably light a cigarette, and smile inanely.

Being on the border between Argentina and Brasil, with both sides providing different experiences, we had to get ourselves to both sides (via public buses that we woudn't recommend!) to make the most of it. With so many falls to experience, from isolated thin ribbons to massive walls of water to Diablo himself - the convergence of 270 degrees of drop offs into a central maelstrom, there was much to blow our little minds.

And that was just the water. Having left the flat expanse of Argentinas arid midrif, the change for us to tropically lush bush, teaming with life, was equally splendid. On our second day visit to the park, we were the first through the entry gates, and making a B-line for the Macuco trail: a quiet out of the way track. As we silently stalked its length devoid of other homo-sapiens, we were treated to all manner of wild delights:

* Monkeys 'elegantly' crash landing into the canopy above us
* A highway crossing of 10 shy coatis on the trail ahead (not the well fed ones in the public areas)
* Orange trees growing wild in the bush
* A wide tape like worm
* Some rat-wombat-rabbit combo animals with small cute pink ears and a short bunny tail
* Birds both dark with fantastic song, and others beautifully coloured.

The trail ended in a small narrow ribbon fall into an idyllic pool, which is actually the previous roaring falls, deprived of its supply by the progressive change of the river to its present location. The bare rock is still being progressively reabsorbed by jungle - a process requiring decades and probably centuries of gradual progress.

The Brazilian side had an extra bonus of the bird park, at the expense of our camera memory space. Toucans, flamingoes, hummingbirds, eagles, Macaus, and more, with some turtles, alligators/caimans, snakes, and butterflies thrown in for good measure.

Photos are interesting, but they are a pitiful substitute for the reality of the Iguazu Falls and its many treasures. Adios agua spectaculare.



Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

BrasilBrasil
Brasil

Our first sight of Brasil
Boys beware of snakesBoys beware of snakes
Boys beware of snakes

Arlene went ahead on the Makuko trail to clear the spider webs and snakes from the trail.
Hola!Hola!
Hola!

Not so shy Coatie - the ones around the public eating areas were pretty curious.
one for the detail freaksone for the detail freaks
one for the detail freaks

I thought you might enjoy this, Thad!
Magnificent dark dramaMagnificent dark drama
Magnificent dark drama

On the first day, we organised some cloud for those dark photos.
...and on the second day ......and on the second day ...
...and on the second day ...

we needed some sun for those permanent rainbows.
Beautiful flyersBeautiful flyers
Beautiful flyers

although they dont always get it right...
How do you do? (en Ingleis)How do you do? (en Ingleis)
How do you do? (en Ingleis)

Como estas? (en espanol)
Diabolic Destruction Diabolic Destruction
Diabolic Destruction

What was left of the walkway to Diablo after the 1992 flood.


16th August 2008

Wow!
The bird park and falls look like not to be missed attractions - incredible! So good to see you guys are enjoying yourselves XX K.
17th August 2008

The Falls look wonderful, Warrick and I are envious, this was where we planned to visit on the way to get married in the UK, but the flights just would not work!!! You guys are sure having a great time. Take care, love Kaz

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0671s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb