Iguazu for New Year


Advertisement
Published: January 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

After an uneventful bus journey from Posadas to Puerto Iguazu we arrived in 37 degrees of steamy heat on New Year´s Eve. My turn to feel unwell, same symptoms as Susan the day before. Rather than whooping it up with the locals I took to my bed and we celebrated the New Year by watching Sideways on the TV, eating crackers and Susan having a go at the mini bar wine selection!

1 January 2008 dawned bright and sunny (no surprises) and all that sleep had done the usual restorative thing, plus scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast, joy. So we did what everybody does here and went to the Iguazu Falls. First day we went to the Argentine side. Very impressive set of waterfalls and by doing the various walks you can get quite close to some of them. Our stomachs were not yet feeling up to the rafting up to the falls but we wandered about in the heat for several hours enjoying the sights and sounds. And it was not too busy.

Braved dinner out - Susan´s first real meal since Saturday and she tried "Surubi al Roquefort", one of the local river fish.

2 January we went over to Brasil to see the falls from their side. Also useful to top up our visas so that we will be able to stay in Argentina for another three months. Thought about doing this trip by various buses, getting Brasilian currency etc and then decided to splash out on a cab there and back. Picked up by a great driver, Aldo, he dealt with all the emigration and imigration stuff and waited around for about two and a half hours whilst we wandered looking at the falls from Brasil. Generally can´t get as near as on the Argentine side but there are great vistas and also a head on view of the Gargantua del Diablo.

The falls are definitely worth the trip - probably a "must see" for any trip to Argentina, even though we did not get here last time!

Moving on towards Buenos Aires next, overnight bus to Concepcion de Uruguay tonight. Cama class, hurrah.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0718s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb