Big Water


Advertisement
Published: November 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Garganta del DiabloGarganta del DiabloGarganta del Diablo

The Devil´s throat
Wow.

For this one I guess the pictures probably speak for themselves so perhaps I´ll just give you some stats and leave it to you to imagine the roar that you can hear from kilometres away.

The name Iguaçu comes from the Guarani or Tupi words y (water) and guasú (big). Legend has it that a god planned to marry a beautiful aborigine named Naipí, who fled with her mortal lover Tarobá in a canoe. In rage, the god sliced the river creating the waterfalls, condemning the lovers to an eternal fall.

The waterfall system consists of 275 falls along 2.7 kilometres of the Iguazu River. Some of the individual falls are up to 82 metres in height, though the majority are about 64 metres. The Garganta del Diablo or Devil's Throat, a U-shaped 150-metre-wide and 700-metre-long cliff, is the most impressive of all, and marks the border between Argentina and Brazil. Most of the falls are within Argentine territory. About 900 metres of the 2.7-kilometre length does not have water flowing over it. The edge of the basalt cap recedes only 3 mm per year.

Upon seeing Iguazu, First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt reportedly exclaimed "Poor Niagara!". Much larger than Niagara Falls, the water falling over Iguazu in peak flow has a surface area of about 400,000 square metres. By comparison, Niagara has a surface area of under 183,000 square metres though in times of extreme flood it has recorded a maximum water discharge well in excess of 12 million litres per second.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The River CrossingThe River Crossing
The River Crossing

This catwalk is over 1km long and still doesn´t span the entire river.
Flying FoxFlying Fox
Flying Fox

Cazz´s adventure mission. A climb up a small cliff, followed by two flying foxes across and back a gorge completed by rapelling back down the cliff face.


Tot: 0.206s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 66; dbt: 0.1646s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb