Iguazu Falls


Advertisement
Published: October 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sorry, still having trouble uploading photos, so none for this blog, but they probably wouldn´t do it justice anyway. The Iguazu falls are absolutely stunning. There are about 275 waterfalls, one of the largest being the Garganta del Diablo, furthest upstream. We crossed the border to see the falls from the Brazilian side, where you can see a panoramic view of all the waterfalls. Before getting to see this view, however, we spent the day cycling through the jungle, taking a boat ride and kayaking on the river (well upstream of the falls!). We saw loads of wildlife, including cayman.
After walking along the river taking in the view of the falls, we were taken to a speedboat downstream, which took us out onto the river and right up to one of the waterfalls, completely drenching us. Far better than any ride at a funpark!
Dripping wet, we returned to the hostel ("one of the best in Argentina" incidently, even has a swimming pool) for Brazilian night (two dancers) and a BBQ. (Jamie)

The next day we headed over the Arentinian national park to take a closer look at the falls. There´s little island out in the river by the falls, and we were the first tourists of the day to make it out to the island, which gave us a good chance to see some wildlife. As well as walking through lots of spiderswebs we saw some vulture-like birds really close up, several foot-long lizzardy things, 3 toucans and not forgetting 2 crickets who appeared to be busy making more crickets in the middle of the path.
Once again the views of the waterfalls were truly breath-taking, and we were able to look at them from all angles. We walked for the whole day along various paths, incluing one 3.2km trek through the jungle to a more secluded, smaller waterfall where were able to have a swim. We enjoyed another fantastic steak and bottle of wine in the town last night, and when we returned to the hostel randomly Jamie ended up playing chess with a former member of the German National Chess Team!! Needless to say he lost, but he did put up quite a fight (and he was already a cocktail and half a bottle of red the worse for wear).

All in all, Iguazu has turned out to be even better than we could have possibly imagined, and it´s been a fantastic first 10 days of travelling.

(Jenny)

PS Please leave us some comments on the blog site

Advertisement



Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1127s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb