Argentina


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Mendoza
November 27th 2006
Published: January 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Mendoza was kind of an afterthought and I'm still kicking myself for my stupidity in not providing for more time there. We had to take a bus from Santiago to Buenos Aires and since we didn't much like the idea of spending 23 hours on a bus and since the bus route to BA would take us through Mendoza, I thought: "what the hell, let's spend a day/night there." We could have easily spent a week. Its a beautiful little city and there's plenty to do. We shall return...


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

MendozaMendoza
Mendoza

Coming down from the Andes towards Mendoza...
MendozaMendoza
Mendoza

Typical street in Mendoza with the big Sycamore trees everywhere...
MendozaMendoza
Mendoza

Lot's of cool old cars in and around Mendoza...
MendozaMendoza
Mendoza

Lot's of cool cafes in Mendoza...
MendozaMendoza
Mendoza

Plaza Espana---filled with beautiful tile-work...
MendozaMendoza
Mendoza

Mercado Central -----notice the pig's head on the counter. The fellow running the shop saw I was about to make a photo and kindly placed it there...
MendozaMendoza
Mendoza

Plaza Independencia
MaipuMaipu
Maipu

Bodega La Rural-----I highly recommend this bodega. It has one of the finest wine museums I've ever seen and the tour (with tasting of several wines) is free...
MaipuMaipu
Maipu

Bodega La Rural
MaipuMaipu
Maipu

Bodega La Rural
MaipuMaipu
Maipu

Bodega La Rural
MaipuMaipu
Maipu

Bodega La Rural
MaipuMaipu
Maipu

Bodega La Rural----the museum...
MaipuMaipu
Maipu

Bodega La Rural
MaipuMaipu
Maipu

Bodega La Rural-----they have a great collection of old wagons, trucks, tractors, etc. here...
MaipuMaipu
Maipu

Bodega La Rural----old John Deere tractor
MaipuMaipu
Maipu

Bodega La Rural----not part of the collection but someone's car. Its some kind of Ford and I don't think its even very old but I thought it was cool. Anybody know what it is? We never had this one in the States...
MendozaMendoza
Mendoza

From the bus just outside Mendoza on our way to Buenos Aires: nothing but vinyards as far as the eye can see...


5th January 2007

Ford
You did have that one in the states. In 1961. It is a Falcon.
5th January 2007

Yeah, I admit it does look kind of like a Falcon but there's no way that car was older than 10 years old. Did they keep making the Falcon somewhere in South America long after they quit making it in the U.S.?
5th January 2007

Ford Falcon
Javier is right. Ford originally built the model Falcon in the States, but apparently wasn't a very succesfull one, and was discontinued. For some reason, the car became pretty popular in Argentina and the local branch of Ford kept making it for more than thirty years until it was finally discontinued in the 90's. The model you have in the picture is one of the "newest" Ford Falcon, probably a mid-nineties.
5th January 2007

Falcon
Thanks, that clears it up then...

Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0689s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb