The First Two Weeks + 1500 Kilometres Down


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Mendoza » Mendoza
March 13th 2012
Published: March 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

So this is Natasha, the daughter, writing this entry of the blog. Both Dad and Mum have been busy learning the language, not just spanish but also the road code, - lomo means there is a bumpa (Speed bump) coming up. SLOW DOWN! If there is a flashing light, go even slower, unless your argentine and then, whatever. If you are on a bike, then it is really a speed up sign, what is even funnier is when there are no marking and then all there is, is a curse from Dad. Then there is the right hand rule, we think there could be some dyslesic drivers, although it doesn't help that Mum and I don't know our left from our right. Our main source of guidence is Dad's left hand forming an L.



I arrived at the Bs As airport on the 1st of March at 2am in the morning ( I swear that I did not intentionally plan this) So here I was walking off the plane in Argentina, and who meets me at the airport, Mum and Dad, They are here. They are in Argentina. They are with my Host Dad and Sister.



After we had a couple of hours sleep, we headed back up to Concordia, the town where I was for a year. Here Mum and Dad spend the day looking for camping gear for their expedition of South America. I helped out, but by the end of that week, Mum, Dad, Juan and Liliana were communicating with their Spanglish. Jose and me could finally take a rest from translating (although I had a great time practising my very rusty Spanish).



While we were in Concordia I met up with my friend Joaco. He had been an exchange student in NZ, so he had met my parents. I had forgotten to mention that I was in Concordia with my parents, so when he came to meet me in the central he was very confused when he recognised Mum in the street.



But our lovely relaxing stay unfortunatly had to come to end, however it also meant the beginning of the Road Trip. I decided a day before they left that I would join them for the first part of their journey.



So with Dad strict guideline of an 9am depature we woke early and packed the car, a VW Suran, a good sized car, it can fit all of Mums luggage! (although I was very impressed at the amount that Mum had packed). There is also spare room for the various things that will be bought along route (although don't tell Dad). With that we left Concordia, with my (host) family waving us goodbye.



Four hours later we had arrived at our first destination. Mum and Dad had bought a tent, however as it was going to be just a night stop over we decided to stay in a Hostel. Thanks to Dads GPS we managed to find it with little trouble, we only had a problem when we didn't believe it and tried to take another route. The GPS hover righted itself and got us back around in the end.



Once we had settled down, Dad wanted to go on a quick walk to see the campground that they would have stayed, had I not been with them (I have no camping gear, and so was the used as the excuse for the hostel stayovers), two hours later we arrived back at the hostel, exhausted by the humidity, but content that we had explored at least one side of the city.



Another early wake up, a quick tour around town, this time with the camera, and we were off. On our way to Cordoba!



(Ohh can't believe that I had forgotten to mention about the ice cream. So far we have had an ice cream in each city that we have stopped off at, you know to check that it tastes just as good all around Argentina. - Which so far it has! I even have Mum eating one on a semi regular basis)



After setting off , after a 2km underwater tunnel we had entered Santa Fe, the next provience! Only one more border to cross until we would reach our destination, a average sized town to the south of Cordoba. The town is called Alta Gracia, and is a tourist desination, made more touristy as it is the town where Che grew up.



In Alta Gracia we decided to stay in the city again, and found a nice Hostel that allowed us to explore the city and enjoy the aumbience of what we have begun to understand is the relaxing festive nature of the Argentine Life.



A day exploring Alta Gracia, included a walk up the hill to Che's house, which left us sweating in the heat, although we all agreed that it was worth it. A stroll back down the street and a pizza later, we were content. To keep Dad's driving confidence up we deided to catch a bus the next morning into Cordoba (this also let Dad enjoy the scenery). As the big citys don't close down during the siesta (afternoon nap) period, we had no problem finding museums or churches to enter. One Church had all its paintings on the ceiling of the building, however, the guide explained to us, the painter had vertigo, so he painted the murals on the floor and then they were lifted and stuck to the ceiling.
Also next to the more famous Cathedrals and monuments there were white blocks that formed the shape of the buildings like a shadow, this was done for the Soccer World Cup that was held there. A guy decided that everybody walks looking at there feet and in thus doing so miss the amazing buildings, so thought that by making these 'shadows' on the ground, people, curious to what it was would look up and see the magnificent building.



At the respectable hour of 10am we left Alta Gracia for Rio Cuarto,we decided to take the more scenic route – we actually saw a windy road, and drove up and around hills! A few hours later and a bit of faulty GPS navigation, we arrived at our destination! We had finally deided to go camping. Although Mum did point out that they weren't the nicest toilets in the world.



Once the tent was up ( its massive, enugh room for me) we were on the road again for a quick trip to go and see my other host family. It was great to see them again, still felt like home, just as did Concordia. Once we had said hi, and I had practised my spanish a bit more we headed back to the campground to spend our first night camping.



We were by the river and so had some live music until the early hours of the morning, or so the parents had told me, as I was sound asleep by then.



And after only one night we were packing the tent back up ready for our next road trip, although we had been told that most of the journey would be via motorways -much better then one lane highways.



Once we navigated our way out of Rio Cuarto we were on our way. Through the Provience of San Luis, were there was nothing different from what we had seen the previous kms, just flatness in all directions, and then through the Mendoza border ( where we were stopped and had out Fruit connfiscated). Once we had shanged state lines the scenery suddenly changed, we could see the Andes, and Vinyard after Vinyard! Proper mountains were seen in the distance!



And that is where we are now 1500kms away from the start point.Sitting outside our tent in Mendoza just chilling. I am planning on leaving my parent here in Argentina for Chile. But if I can change my flight plans am hoping to catch up with them again in the south.



We hav WiFi at this campground, our own electricty supply and a pool! Camping in style.



But hopefully that gives an idea of what we have been up to.





Chau!





Derek, Melissa and Natasha.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb