Disneywelt in Argentina


Advertisement
Published: November 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Villa General BelgranoVilla General BelgranoVilla General Belgrano

The tourist office und clock tower
The trip from Cordoba to Villa General Belgrano was great. 90 minutes of going up and down hills, round bends, past lakes etc. Very scenic. For a small town VGB is pretty spread out, really felt like we were a long way from city life. It can be quite a loing walk to get to where you are staying - in our case the Hotel Bremen. Walked there past the bierkellers, the shops selling Graf Spee memorabilia and kuchen and the apline sstyle houses. In case you don´t know the town was founded by German emigrants and in 1944 a couple of hundred of the survivors from the ship were relocated here. Found out that there is a festival in town this weekend.

Tried some of the beer from the local brewery, Viejo Munich, excellent before going out to try out the local food - Kassler mit Chucrut und Apfelmus is what it said on the menu for my dinner. Next day breakfast included such things as black rye bread. On another mooch around town we came across a small memorial to the crew of the Graf Spee - well to the ones who didn´t survive. Retreated from the sudden rain to clog the arteries with some of the local coffee cake.

Came back into town for late afternoon for the start of the festivities. Today these included a parade of various Ford Model T cars, piped oompah music and this year´s queen of beer and her princess - crowned at the recent Oktoberfest - then going around town in a Model T waving to the public. Whist they were away we had the race between teams of waiters and waitresses from the town´s restaurants - all carrying trays of drinks. All good fun.

Things got stranger when we had dinner - special festival Goulash mit Spatzle - in a restaurant which had a live band. Well local but giving a good impression of being from the Tyrol, complete with tight shorts and odd hats. Lots of dancing by the locals. You had to be there.

Next day we took ourselves off for a walk up to the Cerro de la Virgen above the town. Great views across the valley. Not sure where the day went but we eventually got the bus back to Cordoba late in the afternoon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



15th November 2007

Beer, wine, football and steak
see things are pretty much as expected then! Dead jealous, more piccies of the 2 of you requested.. love C
18th November 2007

. . . . from envious of London Bridge
Great blog. Keep it coming and those of us in the dim dark UK winter can imagine the clear fresh air in the Argentine. I imagine those excellent Spanish skills are getting better.

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0618s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb