Week 2 Cordoba


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Córdoba » Córdoba
October 10th 2008
Published: October 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Another week down and plenty more to write about. This week,s entry is a little belated so apologies in advance.

We left Buenos Aires for Cordoba around 12 o clock local time, the journey was tedious. 10 hours in sweltering heat and not a drink in sight. Not to mention the discomfort of my unreclinable seat. None the less we arrived on time in Cordoba at 1am and successfully negotiated a taxi to the hostel. The hostel was nice, nice people, nice bedrooms and all the mod cons. We stayed up for a little while and played some pool, then
we went to bed and slept for a very long time.

Cordoba is the second city in Argentina, slap bang in the middle of La Pampas in North Centro, basically amongst low lying flood plains, highly fertile and populated, for the most part, by sheep and cows. The steak in Cordoba beat what i previously thought couldnt be beaten but unfortunatly the locals dont seem to have heard of fruit and vegtables so the diet was pretty basic.

There are 7 Universities in Cordoba, so naturally there was a lot of partying going on. It became apparent however that we were off the gringo trail and our English accents were a complete novelty, at first this was brilliant but by day three it was just annoying.

We spent 6 days there, and each day seemed to get better and better, there was plently to see including Cathedrals, old Prisons, Parks and Museums so we were kept busy during the day and had pleantly of good meals in the evenings. We managed to befriend the owner of our favorite restaurant, la nieta a la pancha and this was highly benificial as the drinks were on the house.

We have now left Cordoba and have headed north to Puerto Iguazu, 20 hours on the coach this time and the unbeatable was again beaten. Iguazu is the sight of one of the largest and most spectacular waterfalls on the planet. The weather is hot and the mosquito's are militant, Deet is becoming my best friend. Monkeys, Tucans and Jaguars live in the Jungles that surround my dormitary and the people are tribal. But i already like it here, the pace of life is even slower than the bus journeys and the FTSE 100 index may as well be on Mars. We shall see....


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb