Merry Christmas!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Chubut
December 20th 2006
Published: December 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well firstly, Merry Christmas to everyone!!! We hope that you have a relaxing break, eat too much food, watch too much TV, play old board games and enjoy the family's company. We will be spending xmas in the small town of Villa La Angostura in the beautiful lake district of Argentina. We shall fill our time sadly without our family, walking amongst the pine forests, taking in the beautiful display of colourful wild flowers (it is spring here) and chilling out in the nice hostel we have found.

To get here we have travelled over 2000km on some gruelling bus journeys. From Arequipa in Peru where we last left you we headed into Chile and were instantly shocked by the difference in wealth. Ramshackle homes were replaced by neat houses with front lawns and and a car in the drive. After a few overnight bus journeys (the longest 24 hours) we arrived a little worse for wear in the funky city of Valparaiso. The city is built on a cliff edge that runs down to the Pacific. As the buildings rise up the hillside there is a bohemian feel as the modern buildings turn to brightly coloured houses, chilled coffee shops and bars, art galleries and amazing grafitti art work on every other corner. We stayed in a relaxed hostel up there and enjoyed the sea views and wandering around the artsy streets.

After a few nights we felt ready to get back on the bus and we passed through the Andes mountains back into Argentina, to the leafy city of Mendoza. The city of 1 million has a large tree every 5 meters on both sides of every street, which gave the place a very open and relaxed feel. Mendoza is a famous region for its Malbec wine so we took the opportunity to hire some bikes and swan about the countryside stopping at wineries for the odd glass. We also visited a small olive oil finca and were treated to bread with olive oil and sundried tomatoes, and discovered that olive trees live to 400 years old...blimey. The winery tours were very interesting and by the end of the day we were muttering about hints of mouldy leather and undercurrents of dead horse.

After a day white water rafting we left Mendoza's mediterranean style warm evenings and headed south to the lake district where we remain for Christmas. It is a very different affair here, decorations are minimal and have only been up a week or so. Also their big celebration is on the night of the 24 rather than xmas day itself. We feel quite at home though as the weather is solidly grey and rainy, just like an old fashioned English Christmas.

So not a huge amount has been happening with us except for our excitment at having purchased a ticket to New Zealand via Rapa Nui (Easter Island) and Tahiti for 31 January. It promises to be a rather fine 2007!




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



23rd December 2006

Wishing you both.....
Feliz Navidad!

Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0836s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb