Patagonian Adventure-PART IX-Puerto Madryn


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Chubut » Puerto Madryn
January 18th 2007
Published: February 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

PART IX: Puerto Madryn: January 18

We drove to Puerto Madryn from Parque Nacional Monte Leon hoping to find a room or camping spot for the night. The entire city was booked...and we had to sleep in the truck! After a short night, we headed to Peninsula Valdes early morning hoping to watch killer whales at high tides! Peninsula Valdes is the only place in the world where the killer whales come at high tides to eat the young sealions on the beach. Even if it was not the season for these attacks, we decided to take a chance and observe the ocean.

On the beach of this reserve, a loud and smelly colony of sealions were already enjoying the day. These sealions were more active than the ones at Mar del Plata since this was a reproductive colony...so you imagine the spectacle in front of our eyes! It was quite entertaining to watch the babies walking around and the massive males biting, screaming and fighting! Loud, proud and into the ladies business, these sealions were undisputably Argentinean! Unfortunately, there were many dead babies among the colony as they often are born dead or crushed by the heavy males...this is what you call the the cycle of life!

Next stop: Santa Rosa and Mendoza


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Lomos marinosLomos marinos
Lomos marinos

Gigantic sealions...Proud, loud and well into the ladies business, these are truly Argentinean animals!


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0606s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb