Argentina


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Chubut » Esquel
November 15th 2006
Published: January 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Esquel was quite a pleasant surprise. I didn't know much about the town beforehand but it turned out to be a very nice place.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

EsquelEsquel
Esquel

Train station
EsquelEsquel
Esquel

La Trochita
EsquelEsquel
Esquel

La Trochita
EsquelEsquel
Esquel

Heading up to La Hoya
EsquelEsquel
Esquel

This was kind of a wierd experience. We drove up to La Hoya ski area hoping to ride the chairlift up and maybe see a little snow. When we got there, the lift wasn't operating so we decided to hike along the trail next to the lifts. It started snowing pretty heavily and we finally made it up to the ski area after a nice little slog. When we walked inside the lodge, we were met with strange stares and were asked how we got there. When we told them we walked, they only stared at us more and told us we couldn't stay there and we'd have to leave. Then, when we turned to leave, the bartender said we could stay a little while and offered to sell us coffee, beer, etc. We took him up on his offer and he told us that the ski patrol was there having a training lecture and that we must be very quiet. Soon after, the 20 or so ski patrol members came downstairs and stared hard at us for a couple of minutes before they went outside to begin training. After an awkward 15 minutes or so making small talk and drinking coffee, the bartender insisted on taking our picture outside from every conceivable angle before we left. It was kind of like the Argentine version of "Deliverance". In fact, though my Spanish is quite bad, I think I heard the bartender say I sure did have a purty mouth...
EsquelEsquel
Esquel

Just outside Parque Nacional Los Alerces
EsquelEsquel
Esquel

Parque Nacional Los Alerces
EsquelEsquel
Esquel

Just outside Parque Nacional Los Alerces


4th February 2007

Haha
The La Hoya ski lift story is both funny and creepy!
6th February 2007

It really was an odd experience-----but it was the kind of thing that makes travelling so much fun...

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0488s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb