Back in the City


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
April 26th 2006
Published: April 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

One last marathon bus journey and lo and behold we're right back where we started nearly 3 months ago, Buenos Aires. After finding a hostel, a quick shower and shrugging off sleep deprivation we set off into the city with only one thing on our mind - curry. Argentinian food is generally good but a man (or woman) needs something spicey now and again and if anywhere in Argentina had a curry house, it would be Buenos Aires. Sadly the weeks of anticipation were not worth it as when my rogan josh finally arrived it was about as hot as Margaret Thatcher in a hajab. Our quest for spiciness was finally fulfilled the next day by some rather good spicy beef in a chinese just down the road from the hostel.
Anyway, my food obsession out the way, we had another good week and even managed to sort a new passport out in time for our flight. Highlights included chatting deep into the night to a guy from Northern Ireland called Francis we met in the hostel who has been just about everywhere in the world but is terrified of flying, meeting a Norwegian friend from our tropical medicine course in Liverpool, who is now working in Guatamala but by coincidence happened to be at the same ballet in Buenos Aires with her Mum, some great museums (favourite the Xul Solaire museum - very strange paintings accompanied by suitably futuristic background music) and having the time to chill in the city's numerous cafes and bars without having to worry too much about siteseeing or arranging onward travel. We did manage one last trip, taking the ferry to Colonia in Uruguay for a day to wander around the cobbled streets of the historic old part of town - definitely recommended. Worst moment of the week was having to sit through 2 or 3 hours of a 'tango show' (Emilys fault) with some seriously bad crooning and dancers who looked desperately in need of a zimmer frame (one must have been at least 70 and appeared to be being held up by her partner).
Anyway, bad tango aside we've had a fantastic few months and were very sad to leave Argentina. Having endured the statutory embarrassing welcome from the parents at the airport (complete with banner) we're now in a rush to get everything ready for Malawi - flights in a few weeks so next post from there.




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Post Ballet BoozingPost Ballet Boozing
Post Ballet Boozing

From the left Em, Maria, Eve, Shaun, Marias' very lovely Mum and Francis
Cafe TortoniCafe Tortoni
Cafe Tortoni

Not quite as wooden as some of the Tango dancers here
DesnivelDesnivel
Desnivel

First and last restaurant of the trip and probably our favourite - great steaks and entertaining staff
TangoTango
Tango

Having been disillusioned by some embarrassingly bad tango elsewhere these guys restored our faith
Home at LastHome at Last
Home at Last

You can always trust family to embarrass you at the airport


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb