I'M A LOMO-SEXUAL...


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
December 11th 2007
Published: January 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

For our last leg of our journey, we took the boat from Colonia, across the River Platte, and into Buenos Aires. We planned on spending our last 2 weeks or so exploring Buenos Aires and all that it has to offer.

Buenos Aires is a big city, divided into different neighborhoods, all with their own feel. We stayed in the Microcenter, which is the bustling business district, for a few days and got to feel the real chaos that is BA. We walked around, saw the Argentinian Presidents house (the Pink House), ate really good food at the mall food court (no kidding) and saw some tango dancers in the street.

Our next stop in the BA neighborhoods was Recoleta. Recoleta's claim to fame is its beautiful cemetary. This is where the who's who of Buenos Aires is buried...numerous Presidents, Priests, and Perons. We ended up renting an apartment for a week right across from the cemetary. It turns out to be quite a bit cheaper to do this rather than pay night to night in a hostel.

After our week was up in Recoleta we moved to the neighborhood of Palermo Viejo. If Recoleta is stuffy and full of older, wealthy people. Palermo Viejo is hip, young, and eclectic. We went to a bunch of great restaurants in Palermo Viejo, Bretts favorite being La Cabrera. Normally in Argentina when you order a steak (in espanol it's lomo) thats all you get...no salad, no potato, nothing. So, being under the same assumption Brett ordered a steak and a side of potatos...but unbeknowngst to us he was going to recieve 14 (no exageration) side dishes...from mushrooms to pureed pumpkin to garlic cloves in a sweet sauce. In short, it was awesome! And Sarah (the vegetarian) had to hear about it everyday after that, and also agree to take Brett back for a second steak and round of side dishes.

Buenos Aires is a great city (everyone should book there tickets now, while it's still relatively affordable) and we spent our time simply enjoying it. Checking out cafes, wandering around art museums, going to various markets around the city, and eating and drinking really well.

We went to a wine tasting at an up scale wine shop and ended up purchasing a few bottles to bring home. We got to chat with some other travelers and taste some
VIEW FROM OUR APTVIEW FROM OUR APTVIEW FROM OUR APT

over recoleta cemetary
pricey wines. (How we got them home is another story). Sarah also took an empanada cooking class at an Argentinean's home. The hospitality that her teacher, Teresita, displayed was overwhemling and learning to cook those delicious little dumplings was great.

Now we're back in the real world, trying to sort our lives out. The sticker shock in Boulder combined with the freezing cold temperatures have almost made us book our return tickets. Not to mention missing all those lunches filled with steaks and bottles of red wine. But all in all, it's nice to be home (well, other people's homes), enjoying our friends and family and speaking english. We hope everyone's year is filled with plenty of adventures, and don't be suprised if we show up on your doorstep with two big backpacks and our 8 bottles of wine.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

REALLY?REALLY?
REALLY?

Brett's platter of food.


4th January 2008

empanada
had I know you had taken an empanada cooking class, you would have been making desert at Christmas.

Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb