Buenos Aires - the Beautiful City


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
October 28th 2007
Published: October 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Horse-drawn Cart in AsuncionHorse-drawn Cart in AsuncionHorse-drawn Cart in Asuncion

Not a rare sight on the main street of the Capital; the gap between the few rich and the many poor is wide.
Sun 28th Oct:
A few from the dorm went out clubbing on Friday night... they didn´t leave intil 2:39 am and were back at 8:00. Apparently night life starts late in BA. They spent much of the next day sleepng. I was surprised to get a phone call from Jose in UK (Alicia´s husband) on Saturday morning. He hadn´t realised I changed my travel plans to be in BA earlier than anticipated, and wanted to know if I managed to meet up with Carmen. Carmen came round to the hostel soon after, but our conversation was limited as my Spanish was not fluent enough. We arranged to meet on Sunday morning and she would bring friend who could speak English.
I explored the centre of the city on Saturday - a walk down Florida Ave (a shoppers' paradise with all the major stores and boutiques), Casa Rosada, the English Monument and next to it the memorial to the Falkland War soldiers, and the Metropolitan Cathedral. The temperature here is a comfortable 25 degrees C, a pleasant relief after the oven temperatures of Asuncion and those in Brazil. BA has a European feel about it - lots of British influence evident in
A Piece of Irony in Buenos AiresA Piece of Irony in Buenos AiresA Piece of Irony in Buenos Aires

In the background is the English Monument, a gift of a clock tower from the British Government to mark Argentina´s indepenence anniversary. In the foreground is the memorial to the soldiers who died in the Falklands War.
its architecture, and comparatively wealthy to its neighbours. Yet the cost of living is cheap.
I was just about to do some cooking on Sat evening when Steven ( the French chap I met at Igucu Falls) walked into the hostel. He was as surprised to see me as me him. We shared a meal and chatted about our travels since the Falls.
After good night´s sleep Carmen came round with her friend and we went to the Recoleta area where there is the famous cemetery which looks like a mini city, housing hundreds of tombs of the very rich and famous. It was a very popular tourist site and among the presidents, higher ranked military and the very rich was the tomb of Evita Peron. We had a stroll around some of the parks and a coffee. I went back to the hostel afterwards and joined Steven for Sunday lunch at a local restaurant - "eat all you can for 13 pesos" (under £3 !). It was a great meal as the range of food available was wide.
I later booked a ticket at the port to got to Colonial tomorrow and Montevideo the day after. I hope to
Base of the English MonumentBase of the English MonumentBase of the English Monument

When I went close-up to the monument, I noticed that it has been renamed to the Monument Tower and door and lower walls were covered with graffitti saying that the Malvenos belong to Argentina.
spend a few days in Uraguay and return on Wednesday evening to Argentina.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Casa RosadaCasa Rosada
Casa Rosada

The pink house, the presidential residence.
The Metropolitan CathedralThe Metropolitan Cathedral
The Metropolitan Cathedral

The entrance to the city´s main cathedral,the interior is not quite as ornate as many of the churches in Brazil or Paraguay.
Downtown Buenos AiresDowntown Buenos Aires
Downtown Buenos Aires

The main drag in BA with the Obelisk in the background - it marks the centre of the original BA.
Florida AvenueFlorida Avenue
Florida Avenue

The most popular pedestianised shopping street in BA, packed with many major European shop names. Lots of street vendors littered the centre of the avenue.
Tango in FLorida Ave.Tango in FLorida Ave.
Tango in FLorida Ave.

Two professional dancers perform a Tango for the tourists in busy Florida Avenue.
The Colon TheatreThe Colon Theatre
The Colon Theatre

A fantastic feat of architecture, this theatre was having a face-lift so could not go round it.
In the Recoleta CemeteryIn the Recoleta Cemetery
In the Recoleta Cemetery

Carmen and her friend outside one of the many tombs in the cemetery.
A Mini Dead CityA Mini Dead City
A Mini Dead City

Looking down one of the streets in the cemetery.
At the Dead CentreAt the Dead Centre
At the Dead Centre

Posing at the centre monument in the Recoleta Cemetery


Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0243s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb