Amo River Plate


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
August 7th 2005
Published: August 8th 2005
Edit Blog Post

On Friday i made a huge effort to actually find a post box. went to like the main bank in Argentina, a massive massive ornate building in the centre of BA, i waited for my turn for 20 minutes, only to be told that i had bought the wrong stamps for England (id bought them from a woman in a random shop, she completely done me - 4 quid when it should have cost me less than a pound) I stomped off in a rage, made my way home in the freezing cold and rain. Not in the best of moods. But then me and Chris went to home Querubines, where we didnt exactly teach english, more supervised playgroup. We played jenga, two of the older girls threw themselves all over Chris, using him as a climbing frame, rolling round on the floor with him etc... i gave them turns in a spinning chair, hours of fun! We came home and went out for a meal about 10pm, a few drinks and a dance, then went to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory at 1am - the cinema was packed! this is such a 24 hour city. such a good film btw, highly recommend it.

Saturday i had a bit of a lie in then went to Recoleta with Jamie, Ricky and Lisa. We visited Eva Perons grave and looked round the market, then had a cheeky epanada - typical Argentine snack, bit like a spicy meat pastie. It was warm and sunny again, unusual weather for this time of year, but im not complaining. We came home and me Jo and Lisa cooked some pasta and had some wine. Started getting ready to go out at 11, went to a couple of bars. met some south african guys from the hostel up the road, seemed nice, gave us their email addresses. I got talking to an Argentinian man who'd lived in the USA for many years, and a couple of Argentine skiers, kept on asking if i skied! Tried my best with my broken, ungrammatical spanish to have a conversation. Chris and Paul arrived to pick us up, and i was presented with the Argentines emails - despite not even knowing their names - its so common here for people to do that, apparently! So the five of us went on to a club called Bahrein at about 3, danced the night away, and came home at 7am. Only got a few hours sleep, had to get up to go watch a River Plate match - for those of u who dont know their Argentinian football, they're the equivalent of our premiership - so i paid 6 quid to go watch something like a Man U match! So much fun, i was joining in the singing by the end (and they sing, they dont chant) they werent playing a particularly good team so there werent any riots, but im planning on going to see the Boca v River match in October - biggest and most fierce rivalry in the world! Might take a knife for self protection : )
We had an epic journey home - walked for a couple of miles just to find a taxi. Normally you can flag them down within seconds, theres so many of them. Came home and ordered in, watched a couple of films then had an early night and went to bed at midnight.

Today ive got school in the afternoon for a few hours, then im going back alone to my home in Boca, dreading walking those streets at night, but i should be ok. Gonna copy out some English lyrics to pop songs for them to look at i think.
Better go, need to get on the case!


Advertisement



10th August 2005

Good election
River Plate ! is the best team !! ;) you really shouldnt miss the match River Plate - Boca Juniors... much better of any game you have seen, not for the "good football"... but the atmosphere, the people, the colors... it is something amazing, trust me ! well, like I said in another comment, if u want we can talk by MSN (i really need to improve my english ;) byee

Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0811s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb