Buenos Aires and final thoughts...


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
January 11th 2007
Published: January 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

San Telmo Sunday MarketSan Telmo Sunday MarketSan Telmo Sunday Market

Streets blocked off to cars. Locals and tourists mix in the busy streets, shops and cafes. Perfect for Christmas shopping... for each other!
After visiting 4 Argentinian provinces, 40 hours of flying (8 flights!), 50 hours on buses, 900 km in rental cars, 50 different wines tastings, 20 steaks, too many "medialunas" (Argentina's version of croissants) and inumerable bottles of water ("sin gas" for her and "con gas" for him), it's hard to believe we're already back home... En effet, difficile a croire mais voila deja pres de 4 semaines que nous avons quitte l'Argentine! Le temps file...

But what a trip it was! Needless to say from all the pictures that it's a destination we highly recommend, especially if you love spectacular scenery, great red wines and... red meat! And to respond to the recurring question "What was your favorite spot?": we have to say treking in the mountains. Ok, so it's not just one spot - more like half the trip - but what can we say, they were awesome!

And with all the pictures and comments we've posted, we realize we haven't said much about Buenos Aires. Our "port of call" on 4 different occasions between trips to the regions. And it served us well. A lively city, with an array of neighbourhoods for all tastes, restaurants everywhere, South
La BocaLa BocaLa Boca

Visiting this colourful neighborhood on Junior League Soccer Finals day. Streets are quiet, everyone is in a pub or at the stadium for THE game.
American barrios clashing easily with Parisian architecture, riverfront terraces for leisurely lunches, dedicated soccer fans, rambuctious districts merging with quiet tree-lined streets, unique shops, crazy taxi drivers, awesome Sunday markets, late nights... a blurr of lovely souvenirs mix in our mind. Hope the few pictures give you a feel for this unique city!

Hasta la proxima and thanks for reading the blog. Hope you liked it as much as we enjoyed writing it!

Besos, Adam y Steph



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Avenida de MayoAvenida de Mayo
Avenida de Mayo

One of BA's grand old boulevards, home of Cafe Tortoni and wedged between the Casa Rosada and the Obelisco (see one of the earlier blog entries for pics of those landmarks).
Night at the TangoNight at the Tango
Night at the Tango

A Buenos Aires institution - Cafe Tortoni. Tango dancers are smooth... and fast!
Eva Perron's (Evita) mausoleumEva Perron's (Evita) mausoleum
Eva Perron's (Evita) mausoleum

Because Julie wanted us to find it... Turns out it's not so difficult. Just follow the crowd!
With Mat & AlisonWith Mat & Alison
With Mat & Alison

After lunch on a river-side terrace in Puerto Madero, a few hours before leaving Argentina.
On the road...On the road...
On the road...

Last picture, on our way to the airport. When our taxi's transmission blew on the highway, riding in the back of a pickup didn't seem like such a bad idea after all!
Last view of The AndesLast view of The Andes
Last view of The Andes

Flying back home!


15th January 2007

Look forward for the details of your adventure
17th January 2007

WOW
Wow, I must say it's been a hoot....It sounds like you guys had a blast! I wonder what you're up to next..... Oh yeah, I hope by now Adam and Franc are both Tango experts! Thanks for letting us follow you along!
9th February 2007

You made me smile!!!
Oh guys I feel so so happy to see how much you enjoyed Argentina... I wished I could've gone with you for the rest of the trip... You will be always welcome there, you have a home!!!!

Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1014s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb