Touch down Argentina


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
June 7th 2005
Published: June 9th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Casa RosadaCasa RosadaCasa Rosada

The Presidental Palace
Hola, well after an extremely smooth 11 1/2 hour flight we landed in Buenos Aires early afternoon. Had stunning views of the snow laden peaks of the Andes well above the clouds as we passed over. It was 26deg on arrival, the 1st fine day in over a week. Passed thru customs ok, and then took a taxi into the city to our Hostel. Now I thought Italian drivers were crazy, but this guy who spoke as much english as we spoke spanish, only knew one speed and thought the road was his!!!!!! Spent the afternoon wandering the city along narrow sidewalks and avoiding the crazy drivers on the road. The Plaza de Mayo is the central area and home to too many pigeons. Viwed the Pink Presidential Palace and the balcony from where Evita used to sing to the crowds from in the 1940´s. Whilst there was no protest´s on while we were there, a heavy police presence with anti-riot gear seemed to be waiting for work. Av9 de Julia is the main drag thru the city, with about 8 lanes each way, but still chaotic. The obelisco is planted right in the middle of this. Found a great restuarant for dinner which served up sirloin steak that just melted in the mouth, less than US$5.

The city will be buzzing tomorrow, Argentina play Brazil in a world cup qualifier soccer game. Would have been great to attend the match but we are flying out to the Igazu Falls. Will be back here on our last day to see the rest of the city and hopefully a tango show. Everything seemed to be booked out tonight.

Advertisement



8th June 2005

Hey from Oslo!
Good work Brian, sounds like fun. We are probably as far from you as its possible to get, in Oslo, Norway. Good trip over so far, done Brussells, off to the UK next, hope the rest of your travels go well. - Greg

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0532s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb