Lima, Buenos Aires and home


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
October 9th 2018
Published: October 10th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Said goodbye to the group in Lima, Peru and promptly collapsed. It was good not to have to do anything or go anywhere on anyone else’s schedule. Plus Sue had a bad cough & bad throat after the Lares Trek and then I also caught her cough!

We visited the Mario Testino Museum & met up with the lovely Alice Merry (ex Boxgrove & George Abbot) it’s amazing where they end up!

Managed to bump into Dennis for a drink before we flew to Buenos Aries. In effect we used Lima for downtime and didn’t do much to write home about. It was nice however to be back somewhere that felt almost European.

In Buenos Aires our Airbnb apartment was great and just what we needed. Somewhere with extra space, a balcony and a rooftop area meant we could relax while there. Somewhere where we can make a coffee! It was also a great base as it was in the Palermo area of BA which had some great bars and restaurants as well as a jazz club just round the corner!

Our first day in Buenos Aires was our 32nd wedding anniversary. We found a wonderful Argentinian steak restaurant Don Julio’s in Palermo.

It’s a bit off putting when you suggest a couple of places to a taxi driver & he says they are too dangerous! We had a quick change of plan.

Over the next few days we did a 4 hour cycle tour of the South of BA including La Boca, visited a few art museums, met up with an old friend of Sue’s, Cami who happened to be visiting BA from Brazil at the same time, wandered through the Japanese gardens, visited Eva Peron’s grave and ate empanadas at la Cocino a great little bar in the centre which also played some great music.



The Sunday markets were great to wander around and we watched a number of tango dancers and musicians on the way through before sitting down to a Raclette of all things in one of the indoor markets.


Cafe Tortoni is well worth a visit, it has a similar feel to Bewleys in Dublin but with an added tango show.


The final day has arrived for this leg and we are now sitting in the airport waiting to fly. Can’t quite believe we are doing this and we have already been gone over 3 months - back to the UK for a few weeks to get beat at squash and meet up with friends and family before heading off again to the other side of the world.


For now that’s it - signing off for a few weeks adios amigos


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



10th October 2018

Loved your blog
Hi Richard, you are travelling in the opposite order to us, we’ve just got back from Aus, NZ, SE Asia, Europe and are planning our trip to South America. I’ve loved reading your blog and using it for inspiration for our trip :)
10th October 2018

Thanks
Good to hear it’s of some use to someone and any thoughts on NZ and Australia etc as we are heading that way next
11th October 2018
Alice and Sue

Oh, what a lovely photo!
The sun is out in Lima, looking forward to seeing you both soon(ish)

Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 18; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0652s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb