Tandil - Part One


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Tandil
October 24th 2006
Published: October 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Kathleen's HouseKathleen's HouseKathleen's House

It was lovely and highly recommended.
Tandil is a 5 hour bus journey from BA but don't let that put you off. It's one of very few places in teh province of Buenos Aires that actually has hills. That's really why we went as the flatness of the pampas was getting to us a bit. How lucky we were with the weather though. BA was sweltering in 30-odd degrees of Spring heat and Tandil was only a few degrees below. It was great.

We stayed with Kathleen who has so many amazing stories to tell. She breeds budgerigars and you can see more at her website where you can contact her too. Her house is amazing and we had the annex to ourselves. That made for such a relaxing weekend.

The city of Tandil is quite picturesque as you can see from the photos, but Part Two of this blog (to be completed very soon!) has lots of photos of the surroundings. There was a lot to see and do, especially a bit of walking in the hills. At less than 400m above sea level, it's hardly at altitude, but after months at sea level (mas o menos) it was great to stretch the legs.
Guard DogsGuard DogsGuard Dogs

The dobermen were not too noisy but I presume they would jump into action if needed!

Tandil is also home of the "picadas", the plates of cheese, salami and olives which are ubiquitous in the area. Yes, we tried a few!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

The CathedralThe Cathedral
The Cathedral

The Cathedral was inspired by the Sacre-Coeur. I managed to blot out the men cleaning it up thanks to the Orange trees which were numerous in the central plaza.
Standing TallStanding Tall
Standing Tall

This statue stands tall above the Plaza Independencia.
It's a bankIt's a bank
It's a bank

The grandiose buildings of the past are used by all sorts of governmental and private companies. This one is actually a bank.
Wrestling?Wrestling?
Wrestling?

At least I hope that's what these two were doing!!


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0341s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb