2016 MARCH - END OF THE WORLD


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » La Plata
April 13th 2016
Published: April 13th 2016
Edit Blog Post

END OF THE WORLD



We have not been to South America. Shall we give it a whirl? The Falklands was our real destination and to get there we decided to do a cruise.

Wednesday 9th March 2016

All aboard the 14.10 hrs. National Express Coach to Heathrow. After a lift to Birmingham Airport we boarded the coach for the first part of our adventure to South America. The coach journey was not that interesting and what we had done many times before. We arrived at Terminal Three Heathrow and went to check in. The check in clerk offered us seats at the back with plenty of room as the plane was not full. We were to have four seats each!!!! After a meal at the airport we boarded the TAM AIRLINES plane for a long journey. 11.50 hours to Sao Paulo in Brazil. A long sleep was in order. The flight was good and acceptable, with our seating arrangements.

Thursday 10th March 2016

We arrived at Sao Paulo in the early hours of the morning and had a wait for our plane to Santiago in Chile. We did not have any Brazilian Real so we had to be content with a bottle of water until we boarded the plane. We had not covered our credit card for Brazil??? All aboard the 09.05 am, TAM Airlines plane to Santiago. Not a long flight, about 4.5 hrs. but we went over the Andes. What a sight. Awesome and beautiful. We could not stop taking photographs from the airplane window. As soon as we were over the Andes it was time to land. Chile is not a very extensive country with The Andes as one boarder and the Pacific as another. After collecting up our luggage we took a taxi to our hotel.The Santiago Park Plaza was our destination.

What an attractive hotel. Set in a tree lined road, and very central we knew we were in for a good couple of days. The hotel room was big and comfortable but the shower over the bath was a bit unnerving. After unpacking a few items we ventured out into the streets. We had the afternoon to cover the local sights but were so weary; we went to a local street restaurant and partook of a coffee and cake. We took a short walk around the local area and evaluated some of the shops and architecture. A walk back to the hotel and rest before the evening entertainment was in order. We found a small pizza bar and some music which was agreeable and quiet enough to satisfy our heads after our long flight.

Friday 11th March 2016

The breakfast at the hotel was very good. It covered all hot and cold requirements and as much as you could consume. We had purchased a “Hop On Hop Off” bus ticket in the UK for the Santiago Area and found that the bus stopped a few minutes from the Hotel. (We had checked this in the UK before leaving). We climbed aboard, map in hand at stop no. 10 and decided to go with the flow.



Stop No. 10 covered the Providencia area of Santiago. Providencia is an important area of the city’s commerce and gastronomy. In its surroundings you will find the Schacht Palace and the Providencia Cultural Centre; the traditional Pedro de Valdivia and Ricardo Lyon avenues which our hotel was in and many fun shop and restaurants.

Stop No. 11 is in the El Golf area with many shops and restaurants as well as Peru Square where a lovely antique fair takes place on Sundays.

Stop No. 12 has a lot of 1940’s and 50’s architecture. There is the Municipal Theater and Interactive Museum of Las Condes.

Stop No. 13 Shopping and a cinema are found in the financial district.

Stop No. 1 Parque Arauco. This is Chile’s most important mall and one of the most important in Latin America. Best products, best brands with an open air boulevard and lots of entertainment.

Stop No. 2 Lo Contador Architecture, Design and Urban Studies campus of the Universidad Catolica. and Santiago’s Sculpture Park where there are 30 large format sculptures of renowned Chilean artists.

Stop No. 3 Patio Bellavista, one of Santiago’s most important attractions. Open air setting with constant celebrations. There are 90 establishments which include handicraft and clothing shops with pubs, cafes and restaurants. There are a few important buildings such as School of Law and Universidad de Chile. A square named Baquedano Square, better known as Plaza Italia.



Stop No. 4. A very crucial stop in that you can ride the funicular railway up San Cristobal hill which forms part of the part and has its highest point at 860 metres above sea level, which makes it the best point for viewing Santiago’s remarkable extension.

After a very satisfactory climb there is a large statue of Christ the Redeemer at the top.

There is the Metropolitan Park zoo half way up the funicular on the hill side. In this area you can buy items which are based around Lapislazuli, the semi-precious blue stone which is only extracted in Chile and Afghanistan

Stop No. 5 The National Fine Arts Museum with lots of paintings, sculptures and drawings. It was designed by Emilio Jecquier and was built at the beginning of the 20th Century to celebrate the Centennial Anniversary of Chile’s Independence.

Stop No. 6 The Plaza de Armas, the real heart of Santiago. It is a significant square with the cathedral on one side and City Hall on another. There is also the Judicial Palace, Palacio de la Real Audiencia and National Historic Museum. This stop was well worth the visit. We could have spent a couple of hours here.

Stop No. 7 Plaza de la Constitucion. This is where you will find the Moneda Palace, seat of the Presidency of the Chilean government.



The stock exchange is also situated on the square. Well worth a walk around and a few photos.

Stop No. 8 Paseo Bulnes. This promenade was built as part of the Civic District project in the 1930’s and an important urban intervention in the grid matrix. From here, you can admire the statures of the great heroes of Chile’s history; O’Higgins, San Martin, Carrera and Bulnes.

Stop No. 9 Santa Lucia. The Santa Luca hill has been one of the most relevant places in Santiago since the city was founded by Pedro de Valdivia on the 12th February 1541. The entrance was completed in 1902. It harmonizes around a sculpture of the god Neptune, with curved stairways. A splendid piece of architecture. This stop also is for the National Library and the Lastarria neighbourhood with its fine art galleries, restaurants and cultural centres.





The evening was taken up with a visit to an open air court yard that was very vibrant and full of cafes and restaurants. We had to try the steaks. Yummy. Back to the hotel for a rest. The whole experience of Santiago had been very pleasant and was well worth the visit. It was nothing like we had expected. Better than expected. The city is split in half by a giant water culvert that we would expect to be full in the winter season. It was under renovation which did spoil our view of the city but not too much extent. When it is finished, we would expect the river to be flowing and gardens to be constructed on each side. This being said, we thought the city was amazing and could have spent a week there quite easily.





Saturday 12th March 2016

Today we had to pack and head for the ship. The Norwegian Sun was waiting for us. A coach picked up all the people from our hotel for a 1.40 hr. trip to Valparaiso.

The whole operation seemed very organised and the coach ride was stunning, passing through a lot of breath-taking countryside, using the Andes as a backdrop. We boarded the ship and went straight to our quite large stateroom with large wet room. After unpacking a few items we joined the sail away party with our free drinks. (Unlimited Beverage Package included in cruise). We were on our way. South America Calls.





Sunday 13th March 2016

A day spent exploring the ship and getting to know our fellow passengers. We walked the promenade and scrutinised all the areas on the ship. We checked out the dining arrangements and timings for meals. We were all set for a wonderful cruise. The evening was spent in the Four Seasons Restaurant with a window view and we could not fault the food. Free wine helped us to enjoy the surroundings.

Monday 14th March 2016

We had anchored offshore in Puerto Montt. We took the tender to the shore and enquired about a trip. Located in Reloncavi Sound in the Llanquinhue Province, Los Lagos Region, Puerto Montt is your gateway to Chile’s Lake District – a land of green rapids, waterfalls and awesome scenery. One can see the Osorno Volcano often compared to Mt Fuji for its perfect symmetry. The area was surrounded by mountains and some had snow although this was nearing the end of their summer. We boarded a 10 seated minibus with six other passengers and started our guided tour of Puerto Montt and surrounding areas. We drove to Puerto Varas; known as the City of Roses where we had a magnificent view of Lake Llanquinhue with is reflection or the Osorno Volcano. Puerto Varas had rose bushes growing on most of its streets. Lake Llanquinhue is South America’s third largest natural lake. We journeyed up the east side of the lake to Petrohue in the Vicente Perez Rosales National Park and Petrohue Falls. We had a short walk through the woods to the Petrohue River, where the waters plunge over hard volcanic rocks to form wild, gushing cascades. The path was well marked and has railings. More photo opportunities.





We then journey on and unfinished road to Lake Todos los Santos, known as Lake Esmerelda because of its vivid, blue-green colour. More photos. It was awesome.

Back to the ship to relive some of the memories.





Tuesday 15th March 2016

After an awe-inspiring cruise in the Chilean Fjords we arrived at Puerto Chacabuco, Chile.

This is a small town on the shore at the head of the Aisen Fjord. Characterized by several glaciations, the results of Mother Nature’s handiwork has sculpted the shimming lakes, flowing rivers and the stark windswept beauty of the Andean peeks in Chile’s least populated regions.

We procured a minibus ride to a local town named Puerto Aysen and took a short walk in the vicinity and drank coffee in a local café. Here was the Aiken del Sur Park and a water fall trail. There are plenty of walks and water falls to see up in the Rio Simpson National Reserve. The Simpson River has vistas of waterfalls tumbling over sheer cliffs. Coyhaique was a popular place to visit with a cross of the Andes Mountains en route.

Wednesday 16th March 2016

The beauty of the Chilean Fjords was the title of our cruise today. At 7.00 a.m. the Norwegian Sun entered the Chilean Fjords via the Fallos Channel. The ship approached “The Nick” at approx. 11.00 a.m. and entered the Gulf of Ladrillero at 12.00 p.m. and back outside the Fjords at 12.30 p.m. We returned inside the Fjords via the Trinidad Channel at approximately 7.00 p.m. We spent the day looking for Dolphins, whales, and sea birds. A day for binoculars and cameras.

Thursday 17th March 2016

At Sea again. The Straits of Magellan. “The sea is dangerous and its storms terrible but these obstacles have never been sufficient reason to remain ashore.” So says one of the most famous navigators, Ferdinand Magellan. As early as 120 years prior to Magellan’s navigation, cartographers recorded the position of “the Dragon’s Tail,” on their charts. The Straits are an important passage between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. We sailed it at approximately 3.00 p.m.

What a magnificent sight.





Friday 18th March 2016

Punta Arenas, Chile. Punta Arenas, means sandy point. It is the southernmost capital city in Chile and it began as a sparse penal colony near the Straits of Magellan. Until the Panama Canal was built in 1914, the Strait of Magellan was the main shipping route for commercial vessells traveling between Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. Punta Arenas as a geographical point of interest given its stratigic locatgion as a gateway to the Antarctic Peninsula. It was a shopping city with plenty of coffee shops on the walkways. There is a main square with stalls selling local handicrafts. There is one of Chile’s largest penquin colonies located on Magdalena Island and it is only accessible via a privately chartered ferry boat. An interesting City easily covered on foot but to see the main attractions you would have to book a trip.

Saturday 19th March 2016

Cruising the Beagle Channel and ending up in Ushuaia, Argentina. It is located in a wide bay on the southeren coast of Isla Grande de Tierra del Fuego, bounded on the north by the Martial mountain range, and on the south by the Beagle Channel. We awoke to the sight of the Beagle Channel, passing glacier after glacier. This one is the Italia Glacier. It is a tidewater glacier located in Alberto de Agostini National Park, Chile. It flows down in a southwest direction to its terminus in the Beagle Channel.





We finally arrive at Ushuaia, the End of the World. What a sight as we docked. Mountains and more mountains all around the ship.



We decided to go into town for a look but only had an hour as it started to rain heavily. The town was busy loading a large white ship ready for an Antarctic expedition. It seems that all expeditions go from this port. Very much a working town. The trips into the countryside were very extensive covering mountains and passes in the Andes. If you make your way across the Fuegian Andes up to Garibaldi Pass, and the day is clear, you can get magnificent views of Escondido and Fagnano Lakes. Again a few hours are not enough. Tierra del Fuego (Land of Fire)



Sunday 20th March 2016

Cruising Cape Horn. Cape Horn was first sighted by non-indigenous people on January 29th 1616 during a private exploration voyage. William Schouten, commander of the Eendracht, named the promontory “Cape Horn” in memory of the explorer’s home village Hoorn in the Netherlands. We rounded the Horn at approximately 7.30 a.m.



It was not as rough as we thought it would be. Apparently, it is worse coming the other way, from East to West. During the day we had a baptism for anyone who want to get their head wet with Cap Horn Water. A few buckets of water were taken from the sea as we cross the “Horn”. Another restful day at sea.







Monday 21st March 2016

Port Stanley, the Falklands. We arrived at the capital of the Falkland Islands. A coastal town worthy of a jigsaw puzzle. This quaint city is home to a small population (so few are the residents that the town’s only jail holds thirteen people.) The Falklands archipelago is teeming with wonders of wildlife and nature. Lots of penguins and pinnipeds to be seen. We walked along the main road and spotted Christ Church cathedral with its whalebone arch, the 1982 Battle Memorial, the Government House, wrecks of the old sailing ships, minefields and some of the original houses. We walked as far as the Historic Dockyard Museum and learned more about the history of the Falklands. We passed the mizzen mast of the SS Great Britain on Victory Green. At Bluff Cove there is a penguin colony and a small museum. We spotted a colony of sea lions on our way out of port.



Tuesday 22nd March 2016

We were at sea in the Atlantic heading north, whale hunting. We sat watching and waiting for sea life. That was our excuse for having a rest. It is a big ocean out there.



Wednesday 23rd March 2016

Puerto Madryn, Argentina is a City in the province of Chubut in Argentine Patagonia. It is the capital of the Viedma Department and has about 94000 inhabitants. A new shopping mall in the city centre has helped tourism significantly, making Puerto Madryn a more attractive place for both international and domestic tourists visiting Patagonia. It is twinned with Nefyn, a small town on the Llyn Peninsula in North Wales, the result of its enduring link with Welsh culture since the Welsh settlement in Argentina. Punta Tombo and Punta Loma are places to visit to see the wildlife. After a short stroll along the seafront of this city, we walked into town and had a look at the Main Square and cathedral. We had a coffee on a sidewalk and enjoyed the pleasant atmosphere.

On one cruise trip you can visit the Museum of Palaeontology in the Welsh town of Trelew. It is the most important palaeontology museum in South America and acclaimed worldwide. It features different species of dinosaurs, chronologically ordered and each in a distinctive environment. There are also plenty of sea lions lying on the rocks at Punta Loma.

Plenty to do and not much time to do it in.

Thursday 24th March 2016.

We are spending our last day at sea, heading north to Montevideo. Enjoying the ship and relaxation.

Friday 25th March 2016

Montevideo, Uruguay. It is situated on the north eastern bank of the Rio de la Plata. It is described as a “vibrant, eclectic place with a rich cultural life”. What a beautiful City and full of pedestrian streets. We did the tourist walk as advertised on the local map given to us.

The roads were a little quiet because it was Good Friday and many shops were closed. We saw lots of monuments and churches. We visited Independence Square with its statue of General Joe Gervasio Artigas, considered the father of Uruguay. He has a massive mausoleum and monument honouring this national hero. It was very dark inside and guarded by two soldiers. Walking back to the ship we passed the Puerto de Mercado, the self-proclaimed gastronomical mecca of South America. It was like a large market hall full of restaurants grilling meat and vegetables on large slanted grills/barbeque. The smell was gorgeous.

Saturday 26th March 2016

Disembark in Buenos Aires. A very well organised disembarkation and a taxi waiting for us to take us to our hotel in Buenos Aires. After a short ride and leaving our suitcases in the hotel reception, we went off for a walk to explore the centre of Buenos Aires. We did not have to walk far before we came across one of the main shopping roads, Florida. It was full of small boutique shops and very well-known brands. There was also a Galerias Pacifico Mall which was absolutely beautiful inside. The ceiling was painted like the Sistine Chapel. It was full of boutique shops and fine jewellery.There were many other shops and a coffee was in order. We could not go into our room until 3.00 p.m. so we had to find a restaurant for lunch. Not a hard assignment. There were lots in the main roads. We came across one named La Barra and settled down for something to eat. We enjoyed our lunch and decided it was back to the hotel with time for a shower before we met some old friends from the UK who live in Buenos Aires. They picked us up at our hotel and we went for a gourmet meal in Puerto Madera which is the renovated dockside of Buenos Aires. The meal was a sort of Barbeque and you could eat as much as you like. We can thoroughly recommend it. We were overlooking the River Plata. Awesome.

Sunday 27th March 2016

Our friends picked us up at 10.30 a.m. at the hotel and we went on a sightseeing trip of Buenos Aires. They had sorted out the Tour Bus guide and listed all the places on its itinerary for us to see.

Our first encounter was:



1. Plaza de Mayo.

It is Buenos Aires’ political heart, first mapped out in 1580. Today, the grassy treed plaza attracts visitors and locals. The centre of the plaza features an obelisk called the Pirámide de Mayo, erected to commemorate independence from Spain. Grand 19th century buildings line the plaza, but the colonial arches that once circled the plaza are long gone. Nearby are the city council buildings known as the Cabildo, the Casa Rosada (pink house) government buildings and fine bank buildings. The Cathedral is also on the Plaza. Plenty of photo opportunities and also we saw the changing of the guard.



The next encounter was

2. The Plaza Congresso At the western end of Av de Mayo lies Plaza del Congreso, often dotted with cooing pigeons and families feeding them. The Monumento a los Dos Congresos honours the congresses of 1810 in Buenos Aires and 1816 in Tucumán, both of which led to Argentine independence. The enormous granite steps symbolize the high Andes, and the fountain at its base represents the Atlantic Ocean. West of the plaza is the colossal green-domed Palacio del Congreso (Congress building).

Costing more than twice its projected budget, the Palacio del Congreso set a precedent for contemporary Argentine public-works projects. Modelled on the Capitol in Washington, DC, and topped by an 85m dome, the palace was completed in 1906.



They then drove us to:

3. La Boca

South of downtown Buenos Aires, by the port, the working-class enclave of La Boca has a strong Italian flavour and plenty of artistic flair. The barrio is strongly linked to the history of the tango, and it’s also home to one of the world’s major football teams, the Boca Juniors. The essence of La Boca can be found in Caminito, the brightly coloured pedestrian street lined with painted tin houses and flaunting locally created art at every turn.

Caminito

With its brightly painted houses and funky atmosphere, Caminito is one of the most famous streets in Buenos Aires.

It may not be a grand boulevard, but Caminito is a historic walkway that grabs your attention from the moment you enter. Founded by Italian immigrants from Genoa, the street is lined with haphazardly built homes constructed from corrugated metal and wood, painted in a plethora of gaudy colours.You’ll probably hear the dramatic foot-stomping strains of the tango as you stroll down this pedestrian walkway, and as you look around you’ll see works by local artists on the walls of this outdoor living gallery.

Our next port of call was:


4. Recoleta Cemetery

While it may seem odd that one of Buenos Aires’ principal tourist attractions is a cemetery, the Recoleta Cemetery is no ordinary graveyard. Encircled by a towering perimeter wall and entered via a striking columned portico, Recoleta Cemetery is one of the world’s most exquisite necropolises; a glorious ‘City of the Dead’ that houses some of the country’s most prominent political, military and artistic icons.





Over 6,400 tombs are found in the Cemetery, laid out in formal tree-lined avenues and punctuated with beautifully sculpted monuments, poignant marble statutes and grand, bronze-cast mausoleums. Notable burial plots include the vivid white stone tomb of newspaper founder José C. Paz, flanked by a pair of dazzling Rubenesque angels; the ostentatious tomb of former Argentine president Carlos Pellegrini, featuring an elaborate statue of the controversial leader atop the coffin; and the evocative statues of crying widows kneeling beside the tomb of Colonel Falcon, the Chief of Police famously assassinated by rebels in 1909. One of the most visited tombs is that of the city’s beloved Eva Perón, or Evita, whose family vault blooms year-round with bunches of fresh flowers and is inscribed with the promise: ‘I will return and be millions!’
With a list of residents that reads like a who’s who of Buenos Aires’ high society, the cemetery serves not only as a resting place for the dead but as a testament to the golden age of Buenos Aires and the equally turbulent and triumphant history of Argentina. One thing’s for sure – the ornate miniature city with its breath taking sculptures and fine works of art is a fitting tribute to everyone buried there.





5. Colon Theatre (Teatro Colón)

Since 1908, the Colon Theatre (or Teatro Colón) has set the benchmark for gilded magnificence and the ultimate theatre experience.

One of the world’s top five opera houses, the luxurious seven-story building seats 2,500 theatre-goers on plush red velvet chairs on tiers of gilded balconies rising to giddying heights.

Guided tours highlight the gilt interior, chandeliers, illuminated dome and ceremonial staircases.

See what’s coming up on the theatres schedule of performances, from opera and ballet to classical concerts. A place that must be seen at night. It glows in the dark.



6. Avenida 9 De Julio

The width of this road is phenomenal:

Porteños (Port People) often boast about Avenida 9 De Julio as the world’s widest boulevard, and with a width of 460 feet (140 meters) with 12 lanes of traffic, they might just be right. Construction on the avenue began in 1937, modelled after the Champs Elysees but twice as wide, and built to commemorate Argentina’s Independence Day, July 9, 1816. It wasn’t fully completed until 1980.

Neo-classical and Beaux Arts buildings line the monumental street, but it’s most recognizable feature is the iconic Obelisk that towers over a small park at the intersection of Avenida 9 De Julio and Avenida Corrientes. As you can see Eva Peron is depicted in lights on a large building at the end of the Avenue.

Our next venue was the Green area of Buenos Aires. There is was is called the Lake District with many parks and walkways;

7. Floralis Generica



The dramatic centrepiece of the Plaza de las Naciones Unidas, the Floralis Generica is a giant 18-ton aluminium flower sculpture that has become one of Buenos Aires’ most instantly recognizable landmarks. The quirky art installation was erected in 2002 in the parkland that bridges the city’s Palermo and Recoleta districts and features a striking mirrored finish that dazzles under the sun and glows red in the evening hours. Designed by Argentine architect Eduardo Catalano, the futuristic monument was envisioned in homage to his home city and was gifted to the public by him.

Most uniquely, the remote controlled sculpture is programmed to open and close its six petals with the sun, so that the flower is in bloom during daylight hours before closing up at sunset. Each morning (the petals open at 8am) and night crowds of locals and tourists gather in the park to watch the 20-minute spectacle, as the 66-foot-high flower changes colour with the setting sun and slowly closes up its 43-foot-long petals as darkness sets in. The most remarkable of Buenos Aires’ many street art pieces, the Floralis Generica also pays tribute to the city’s most memorable dates. For 4 nights a year the flower remains open in celebration of the May Revolution on May 25th, the start of spring on September 21st, Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve.

8. Galileo Galilei Planetarium

This is also in the “Parks Area”.

The neighbourhood of Palermo is not just fashion and shopping and places to drink wine. It is also home to the “Neafu park 3 de Febrero”, and inside, is the Galileo Galilei Planetarium. At night the exterior is lit up with blue and purple lights, and during the day, you’ll recognize it by its distinctive dome.

The building’s dome is 66 feet in diameter and seats 260 people. Shows are put on display with 100 different projectors and the use of Dolby 5.1 audio, meaning that in addition to the sun, moon and visible planets, nearly 9,000 other astral features such as stars, constellations and nebulas can be seen. The seating is 4-D and interactive, for an immersive experience for guests, and while the shows, such as Colisiones Cósmicas, are narrated in Spanish, they are mostly visual in nature, which means you’ll still get a lot out of it, even if you don’t know the language. There is a special show for children, one that combines stars and tango, and there are programs for blind and deaf patrons as well. In the small adjoining museum, there is a piece of lunar rock, and fossils of 100 million-year-old sea life, and at the entry there is a metallic meteorite from Argentina’s Chaco province, and on Saturdays and Sundays during the day there is free use of a telescope to observe the sun.



The “Parks Area” also covered the Horse Race Track and Polo Ground. The Argentines are the most well-known polo players in the world. Their team is one of the best.









The one thing we have forgotten to mention is the Torre de los Ingleses (Tower of the English).



It is a clock tower located in the barrio (district) of Retiro. It is situated in the Plaza Fuerza Aérea Argentina (formerly Plaza Británica) next to the Rua San Martín and Avenida del Libertador. It was a gift from the local British community to the city in commemoration of the centennial of May Revolution of 1810. It is next to the giant Railway station which is also a lovely building.





The conclusion of our guided tour ended in a coffee and snack of local delicacies, empanadas and alfajores. In South America alfajores are found most notably in Argentina, Bolivia, Uruguay, Ecuador, Paraguay, Chile, Colombia, Peru and Brazil. Alfajores have been popular in Argentina and Uruguay since the mid-19th century. However, these differ from the Spanish alfajores in that they are made with two round cookies with different sweet fillings between them. The filling is usually dulce de leche, although there are a lot of variations. Argentina is today the world largest consumer of alfajores. We ate and really enjoyed.

The empanadas made a good lunch with coffee.



We said farewell to our friends and headed into the hotel. It was sad to see them go and we look forward to, someday meeting them again.



Into the Hotel to pack and get ready for our last night in Buenos Aires. It had been a wonderful couple of days. We decide to walk to our local restaurant, La Barra, and enjoy a quiet meal and drink. This restaurant was on the kerbside in Av. de Cordoba, where we could watch the world go by and mull over our holiday.



Monday 28th March 2016

Time to go home. We packed our suitcases and when for a last walk in the City. The shops were all open after the Easter Period and the street were full of locals and tourists. A few more photos and back to the hotel to catch our 12.00 p.m. taxi to the Airport. We had a 4.5 hour journey to Sao Paulo and an 11.50 hour journey to London Heathrow before catching our Coach to Birmingham. We were not looking forward to it. It soon passed and we were “Home Again”. We arrived home on Tuesday 29th March 2016 at 4.00 p.m.


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 37


Advertisement



Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb