No falls yet.


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
September 18th 2006
Published: September 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

A grinA grinA grin

Siga La Vaca!
95% of Argentinians are catholic. Impressive churches are never more then a 5 minute walk away, but catholicism doesn´t seem to determine the way that argentinians live.
Sunday no longer is god´s day, but rather a family day in which markets seem to open in each barrio (suburb). Each barrios market posseses a unique character that makes choosing one to visit very difficult. A clever solution I devised was to spend 4 sundays in Buenos Aires so that I may see them all. A clever plan that fell at the feet of argentinas true religion, FUTBOL! futol fields outnumber churches, and seem to have claimed any spare land in town. Gardens without goal posts are soon transformed into futbol pitches with childrens magic bak-paks or jerseys projecting imagenery posts. I have seen more murals of Maradona and the hand of god then I have of Jesus and God himself. Every 5th store has Maradona shirts for sale in the window. Futbol is a way of life, and on Sunday past I was sucked into the tornado like fever that sweeps through this enormous city every time the local team plays, and taken to see La Boca play.
A magnificent stadium, possesed
Sad songsSad songsSad songs

An indigenous group at the San Telmo Market
fans, electric atmosphere, and 90 minutes of high speed action. 0-0.
Clubbing in Buenos Aires = Not for me
With vip tickets, we were taken to Opera Bay night club. A place modelled on the Sydney opera house, with four different dancfloors (each playing different music), surrounded by water on three sides, pools inside, and one operational toilet. A place with a great reputation amongst locals and tourists alike.
Four different kinds of music referred to 4 variations on the same music. Drum n bass, techno, electronica, progressive, whatever you call it, it´s all very similar. It is a kind of music that has so many layers of beats that people having seizures actually shake in time to at least one beat and sometimes people ODíng on the dance floor are mistaken for passionate dancers. The drum beats all build up into one ear destroying high pitched tone, and then crashes back into the original beats again, this moment is a cue for clubbers to lift up there efforts and shake, jump or seizure more frantically. This occurs every five minutes, and clubs run from 2am til 8am. So as you can imagine is just jolly!
Siga La Vaca! the
lullabyeslullabyeslullabyes

A guitar a violin some drunks and me
greatest ristorante ever. All you can eat meat, sides, salads, desserts, drinks. the doors may actually be a portal to heaven. And a night in heaven only costs 32 pesos, thats $17NZ. The other lucky individuals that accompanied us to Siga La Vaca couldn´t understand how I managed to grin for the entire evening.
A concert group from Uruguay has been staying in the hostel this week, and after our weekly asado they performed a brilliant and free concert on their stringed instruments. After the performance a group of us spent most of the night on the terrace listening to guitar accompanied by violin. One of the uruguains performed an especially good remdition of Rocky Racoon, and I was dedicated 'Somewhere over the rainbow´ by an american woman from Wisconsin.
We have also wandered through the cat littered botanical gardens of Palermo, cycled the river side reserves, battled locals at futbal, wandered through the many markets of the city, and eaten well.
All and all Buenos Aires continues to offer oppurtunities for adventure, and as of yet I have not taken any falls. It´s Brilliant

Hasta Luego



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

HeavenHeaven
Heaven

spoilt for choice at Siga La Vaca.
Tuesday night asado Tuesday night asado
Tuesday night asado

BBQ at the clan


18th September 2006

The Cheshire cat that got the meat
Hello Andrew, It's good to read that your well and have found your place of grins. It sounds as if your legs were filled. That's great, keep up the commentaries. They're so humourous and discriptive. You know, your really quite good at it. Te manaaki o te Atua ki a korua. Heoi ano, naku iti nei na Ema
19th September 2006

Meat
The Cass Man ! I do believe one of my new favourite things is to read your travel blog. Its like a soap, only its actually good :) Sounds like all is going well my friend (and no falls ! - Yesss !). Continue to eat heartily, travel with eyes wide open and embrace whatever you encounter...well maybe not any diseased cats or anything like that...actually, just embrace Tracey (Tracy?) Is there an 'e' ? You never can tell. Adios Amigo !
19th September 2006

that meat shot is disturbing but im sure nana would be happy to know that u are getting your andrew size intake. safe travels cousin... did i see tracy sitting on a chair in one of those booze hound phtots? did u put her in your back pack when u left??
24th September 2006

Heaven is a place on earth!
wowie that looks good man... look at all that meat... i wouldnt be able to function in that place... id like.... overload or someting... so whens the surfing gonna happen? do they have mad killer-jellyfish's with laser beams attached to their foreheads? beach photos please..... please

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0226s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb