Buenos Aires


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
November 5th 2012
Published: November 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Our hostel room is a 6 bed, mixed dorm which is currently home to 2 drunk Brazilians, a friendly German girl and your two favorite Americanas. Apparently when the Brazilians came in late last night they found me almost falling off the top bunk. One of them said he kept shaking me and yelling "wake up" but he got no reaction, so he said he just picked me up and moved me away from the edge. Not even once did I wake up. Equally as concerning is Abby didn't wake up either, so just to recap some strange man was picking me up and moving me around without either one of us putting up a fight, leaving us open to a Taken-like situation.

We started our day off by heading down to Defensia street, which is home to an 18 block street fair every Sunday. Its your typical street fair with your street performers and craftmen sweating it out. There was some awesome street music and the fact that it was 18 blocks meant that it took us a good 4 hours to walk down and back.

Next we head up to the Galleria Pacifico, which is a huge ritzy shopping mall which makes Tyson's mall look like it's for street people. We grab a quick snack then window shop for a while before heading down to Recoleta, the art district of BA. Ran into another street fair which managed to kill some more time, and it was here we first discovered the crying trees. There are these GIANT trees all around BA that drip water (well what looks like water) from their tree tops. Seeing how it hasn't rained since we've been here it took Abby and I for surprise and led us to come back to the hostel to look it up. Turns out it's not water at all, but a secretion of some parasite in it's leaves....so, I'm pretty glad I spent most of the day under these bad boys. Hang on while I go take another shower.

There is a giant metal flower sculpture which Abby demanded I take action pictures of her jumping in front of. Turns out, it made for an entertaining 5 minutes...and even more entertaining time afterwards as all the other people around started copying her. Way to go Abby.

The rest of the afternoon/evening was spent walking around the city. Flip flops were a poor choice.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Breakfast of championsBreakfast of champions
Breakfast of champions

Ham and Cheese Empanadas
Galleria PacificiaGalleria Pacificia
Galleria Pacificia

Gorgeous shopping mall!! Puts Tyson's to shame with it's ceiling paintings and gourmet food court.


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb