Iguazu Falls


Advertisement
Published: March 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Hello again, I have had my supper (bife de corizo,hongos,tomate,frijoles) steak,mushrooms,tomato and beans along with a Catena Malbec. It is post number two for the evening so that I can have the day free tomorrow to take care of some business with my land lady and then pack and get myself to the airport.

Iguazu falls,one of the new 7 wonders of the world and truly it deserves to be there. The day starts with the bus coming to pick me up at the hotel.I have had my breakfast and am packed for the day with camera,sunscreen,plastic bags for camera protection and bottles of water.The day is cloudy though and looks like rain which is not a good thing for trying to view vistas with a camera but it is my one shot and regardless I am in. The small bus collects others and then we join the mother bus which will take us all the 14 kms into the National Park and the main entrance to the park.Carlos is our guide and provides bilingual information as we approach. We of course are not alone and the entrance is busy with lines to get tickets (100 pesos or about 25 dollars) and then lines to get through the new electronic turnstiles and into the park. It is a huge park with trails and roads going to the various falls and viewing areas. the whole falls stretches over 2 kilometers and there are walkways over the water and a narrow guage train to get you to the ,Garganta del Diablo, (Devils Throat). It is there we go first taking the train through the jungle to the station and then a walk across steal walkways winding through the islands and waterways. Getting closer to the Garganta you can see the spray plume rising high into the grey sky and the people walking the opposite direction are wet but smiling. I have brought plastic bags to attache to my lens and pull back to cover the camera but as I get closer realize it is like standing in a shower.The spray is everywhere,and in seconds the lens is covered in spray. I develop a system of wiping the lens with my back turned then spinning around to shoot as many shots as I can until time to turn again and repeat the steps.Occasionally the wind shifts and the spray moves away but I am soaked anyway.The falls are amazing roaring over the edge and then falling over 80 meters into the mists. It is impossible not to be hypnotized by the sight of the power and beauty of it. The weather is grey so no rainbows.

Walking back to the train soaked and 100% humidity so not much chance of drying out.The train takes us back to the station we started from where we walk along the Circuito Superior or upper circuit to see the line of falls around San Martin island.Coati (like a racoon with a long tail and nose) scurry around us in packs sniffing our legs and feet looking for food. The vistas of the many falls along this line are amazing with the rivers of water cutting through the jungle then cascading over the edge in varying sizes but all amazing and together just magnificent.The rain is coming on and off now at times hard rain with wind then tapering off so again a challenge for photos but My plastic bags seem to work if only I could do something about the flat light!!

After the upper circuit we walk down a series of steps to the Circuito Inferior to look up at the falls.The spray and roar are amazing and a constant rain adds to the experience!!

At this point I left some of the group so that I could go on the 'Gran Adventure' a boat trip to the falls!!!the boats are like large zodiacs holding 50 or more people.Life jackets and not optional and we are each given a water proof bag for our valuables!! The boat has a few large motors and first off took us up to the Garganta, AMAZING!!! The boat moves in close and the waves are washing over the sides and the spray is lashing across us all. the Captain inches closer and holds station there while we are battered and soaked then pulls back.The passengers roared and clapped and cried out otra otra,again again!! Well sure enough in we went again with the roar of the water deafening between the cries of joy and excitement. pulling back he skillfully turned into the whirlpools and waves to ensure the water washed in to the boat and over us all.We then went onto the other side of San Martin island and he held back so we could get some pics then drove into the spray and roaring waters.AMAZING!!!!! hard to describe but it is not to be missed if you are ever down here and want a thrill ride to cross off your bucket list.

After that we headed down the river and disembarked soaked but smiling and boarded an open vehicle for a trip back to the park through the jungle. A guide spoke about the flora and fauna of which we did not see much.There are jaguars in the jungle here as well as nasty spiders,snakes and lots of beasties to spoil your trip.I am glad to not have any spider encounters to report.

Back at the main park area we had time to eat then boarded the bus to be dropped off back at our hotels.Another great sunset and a meal in town then off to bed after a quick walk around the casino to watch the gamblers. A great day and a wonderful sight,do not miss Iguazu if you are in the area!

Well thats it for now,I may post again tomorrow if I get organized enough.If not I look forward to seeing you all again soon. It was a great adventure to be down here but it has been lonely at times and I will be glad to see you and to hear about what you have been doing these past months. I am not impressed with the reports I have been getting about the weather the last couple of days so see if you can clear that up for me. Buenas Noches Pedro


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0765s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb